GUI and colours.

drew....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 6:43:49 PM11/22/16
to qubes-devel
Hi folks,

Just wondering how the system interprets the colours to be put onto the window decoration and the colour of the icons and all?

What file is this in?
What ones set the borders and the icons and all?

I'm trying to work it out so that I can change it to work better in that department. (mainly dim the colours, but also make the colour setting work)

I've got most of the things set up right but the colours are just too bright/brillient  to look at each time.
I set one to purple, I get pink not purple.
I set green, and it's almost lime.
I set yellow, which icon isn't bright yellow, and the borders are bright yellow.
Red is good to be bright, because it's RED.

There just aren't enough colours.
Need light and dark of each, need greyed versions too.

Maybe I'm just finiky, but there aren't enough colours to work with.
8 isn't enough.
Using the colours to determine which VM you are using is the best way, thus, 8 isn't enough.

Black is for templates, red is for dangerous/vulnerable.
So that leaves 6 for every day guests.
Blue is Dom0.
That leaves 5.

There aren't enough.
 Any assistance to know the minor details would be great so that I can get it working.
Thanks in advance!

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 22, 2016, 7:16:07 PM11/22/16
to Drew White, qubes-devel
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM, <drew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering how the system interprets the colours to be put onto the
> window decoration and the colour of the icons and all?
>
> What file is this in?
> What ones set the borders and the icons and all?

The colors & names are hardcoded in several places: window manager,
qubes-manager, core-admin, etc.

The place they are actually rendered in window borders depends on your
desktop environment, but by default (Xfce) it's in
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-desktop-linux-xfce4/blob/master/xfwm4/xfwm4-4.12.3-qubes-decoration.patch

> There just aren't enough colours.
> Need light and dark of each, need greyed versions too.

I would like different patterns (stripes, etc.) rather than just more colors.

I have lots of VMs of the same "trustedness" level, just different
contents / purposes.

drew....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 7:26:29 PM11/22/16
to qubes-devel, drew....@gmail.com
I know what you mean, but just enabling the colour setting would be one giant step better.

They already have it in the command line, but they just have not implemented it in the system. It's been there for a while now, and nothing has been done.

It's something that is of low priority in general.
However, when you have 15 guests running at a time that you use all at once, needing more colours is essential.

I built my Qubes Suite to do many of the tasks that the current qubes manager I find cumbersome to do.
Also, to use less RAM than using python all the time in that methodology.
So I'm just trying to get to know how it does some things so that I can either fix them, or remedy them, or just make them work. (since most of the focus is now on Qubes 4.0)

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 22, 2016, 7:33:10 PM11/22/16
to Drew White, qubes-devel
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM, <drew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> They already have it in the command line, but they just have not implemented
> it in the system. It's been there for a while now, and nothing has been
> done.

What... implemented more colors on the command line? I do not believe
so... at least I have not come across any indication of such while
reading the code so far.

> It's something that is of low priority in general.
> However, when you have 15 guests running at a time that you use all at once,
> needing more colours is essential.

There is a reason we have labels in the title bars too.

> I built my Qubes Suite to do many of the tasks that the current qubes
> manager I find cumbersome to do.
>
> Also, to use less RAM than using python all the time in that methodology.
> So I'm just trying to get to know how it does some things so that I can
> either fix them, or remedy them, or just make them work. (since most of the
> focus is now on Qubes 4.0)

If such changes are truly an improvement, might I suggest sharing your
patches such that others might benefit from your efforts too?

drew....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 7:44:26 PM11/22/16

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 11:33:10 UTC+11, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM,  <drew....@gmail.com> wrote:
> They already have it in the command line, but they just have not implemented
> it in the system. It's been there for a while now, and nothing has been
> done.

What... implemented more colors on the command line? I do not believe
so... at least I have not come across any indication of such while
reading the code so far.

No, but that's what should be done.
/usr/bin/qubes-guid -d 3 -N {VMNAME} -c 0xf57900 -i /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/devices/appvm-orange.png -l 2

  -c 0xf57900

Changing the colour variable does nothing.
It's all dictated by the label. " -l "

I've manually changed the -c to be another colour, and it doesn't work.

I'll find the thread later regarding me asking about that and them telling me it was not YET implemented.

> It's something that is of low priority in general.
> However, when you have 15 guests running at a time that you use all at once,
> needing more colours is essential.

There is a reason we have labels in the title bars too.

That is true, but I preferr to just have a QUICK way of knowing.
Rather than having to read text like that all the time.

> I built my Qubes Suite to do many of the tasks that the current qubes
> manager I find cumbersome to do.
>
> Also, to use less RAM than using python all the time in that methodology.
> So I'm just trying to get to know how it does some things so that I can
> either fix them, or remedy them, or just make them work. (since most of the
> focus is now on Qubes 4.0)

If such changes are truly an improvement, might I suggest sharing your
patches such that others might benefit from your efforts too?

When it's done, yes.

drew....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 7:48:07 PM11/22/16