FYI: Arch linux is back doored according to this

C.L. Martinez

Nov 25, 2015, 11:12:37 AM11/25/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
https://plus.google.com/u/0/110570186850949220947/posts/7oPet2Jzass?cfem=1&pid=6220925184097238770&oid=110570186850949220947

According to this, is it safe to include archlinux templates or using
archlinux appvm based in Qubes-OS?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 25, 2015, 11:32:55 PM11/25/15
to C.L. Martinez, qubes...@googlegroups.com

C. L. Martinez

Nov 26, 2015, 2:25:17 AM11/26/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 4:32 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
<marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 04:12:16PM +0000, C.L. Martinez wrote:
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110570186850949220947/posts/7oPet2Jzass?cfem=1&pid=6220925184097238770&oid=110570186850949220947
>>
>> According to this, is it safe to include archlinux templates or using
>> archlinux appvm based in Qubes-OS?
>
> According to this, it is safe to assume that the author is a total moron.
> Anyway... the great thing about Qubes OS is that it can contain
> compromised code in a VM, keeping other VMs safe.
>
> If your template is compromised, it would mean that all the VMs based on
> it are too, but not the others based on different templates. Also you
> can somehow limit communication of VMs with the outside world (setting
> firewall, RPC policy etc), but because of x86 architecture complexity,
> there are some covert channels, so it isn't bulletproof - if you have
> two compromised VMs, they may find a way to communicate with each other.
> But not with clean ones.
>
> - --

Thanks Marek. Now I'm more relaxed.