Installation R3 blocked at " Create Service VMs "

mike gilbin

Apr 29, 2015, 3:32:05 AM4/29/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am trying to install Qubes OS R3 on my new MSI laptop.

Sadly, the installation is blocked at the step "Configuring TemplateVM fedora-21" in "Create Service VMs" (the last step of the installation)

If I retried the installation from the beginning, it's still blocked at the same step (Continuous loop). If I try "ctrl+alt+f5", the screen freezes...

Can you help me please?
Thank you.

Best regards,
Mike.

mike gilbin

May 2, 2015, 1:32:57 PM5/2/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I checked the signature of the iso in the usb key and it is good. So I think it's not a problem with the key.

I put the iso file (R3) on this key with the dd command as described in the installation tutorial.

But to be sure, I tried with a new usb key that I have bought just to test with another usb key. I checked the signature too. With this new usbkey, it's now blocked at "Creating disposableVM."

But when I retry again, It's blocked at another step, these can be : "Creating network vm" or similar others steps.

If I try "alt+ctrl+Fx", the screen becomes frozen and after, I can do anything.

Someone else had got this problem ?

Unman

May 2, 2015, 9:17:26 PM5/2/15
to mike gilbin, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have seen similar problems with R3.
Have you tried just stepping through after the error?
In my case, when I did this Qubes started and loaded the manager, and
all vms had been created. The netvm would not start. I removed one of
the network interfaces and that solved the problem.
No disposablevm showed in the manager. However, when I tried to use a
dispvm it was automagically created, (after the normal "wait while
updated" message.)

unman

mike gilbin

May 3, 2015, 4:32:49 AM5/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, mike....@gmail.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

How can I step through the error please ? ^^
If I try to restart after the error (screen frozen), I have to redo the installation form the beginning (Create an user, create VMs, etc).

I think I will try to install it without the creation of VMs just to test If I can finish the installation.

mike gilbin

May 3, 2015, 11:19:08 AM5/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
If I try witout the installation of vm, i just got a black screen at the end of the installation :(

mike gilbin

May 3, 2015, 11:49:53 AM5/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
My laptop is a : MSI GS60 2PC-247XFR - i7 - GTX 860M

In the hardware compatibility list, there are many similar compatible laptops :
- MSI GP60-2PE
- MSI GS60

Maybe it's Qubes R3 that is not compatible, I will try with Qubes R2, because with R3 I try everything to install it but it's impossible, the screen freezes at each attempt (at the end of the installation), and if I try to restart, the setup start again.

mike gilbin

May 3, 2015, 1:22:51 PM5/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Some news :

On my new laptop :
I checked that I boot in LEGACY mod. (it's okay).
I checked also that Vt-d is enabled in the bios (it's okay).
I also checked with Piriform Speccy that Virtualization (Vt-x) and Hyperthreading are supported and enabled, and it's okay too.

I tried to install Qubes R3 on my old laptop (8540p) and it works fine (but this laptop isn't working correctly there is no more sound, no more wifi, etc.).

I would like to know what is the problem, because I could do something to fix the error, but I can't see the error (the screen freezes if I do "alt+ctrl+Fx"), it's very frustrating... :(

Anyone knows how to see what is the problem please ?

Best regards,
Mike.

Unman

May 3, 2015, 4:47:15 PM5/3/15
to mike gilbin, qubes...@googlegroups.com
In my case, I hit back, then forward - the option for "do not create
vms" was selected. Then hit Next, reboooted and Qubes3 loaded with all
vms created.
I don't know if this will work for you.

mike gilbin

May 4, 2015, 4:00:05 AM5/4/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org, mike....@gmail.com
Thanks for your answer.

I already tried to do this, but when I hit back, I can't click on "Forward", because the button is disabled (just "back" buttons are okay), so I just can come back at the beginning but after I can't go to next steps. So I don't have the choice, I just can restart with the hardware.

If I had a way to see the error screen without it freezes, I could maybe try to fix the problem, I am even ready to submit a patch in the git repo ^^, but I can't see what is the problem :(

mike gilbin

May 4, 2015, 5:09:57 AM5/4/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Resolved !!!

I just changed in the bios (boot option) :
-> Default start with N gpu (nvidia)
By
-> Default start with intel gpu

And that works pretty well. I am very happy ^^.

Thank for your help Unman :)

If an administrator can add this remark in the documentation (because new computers can directly boot with nvidia cpu instead of intel gpu) that can be good for users with new computers.