GitHub ticket #5929 disappeared (official Arch Linux template)

Rusty Bird

May 10, 2021, 6:27:46 AM5/10/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 10, 2021, 6:58:25 AM5/10/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Rusty Bird

May 10, 2021, 8:31:18 AM5/10/21
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 10:27:38AM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> > I was trying to check on the status of the Arch Linux template, but
> > the issue ticket[1] has disappeared ("Page not found"). Maybe it's
> > caught in a GitHub spam filter?
>
> Likely yes, for some weird reason. I've asked github support to restore
> it.

After a couple of GitHub API requests, it looks like they're currently
memory-holing 43 issues:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3272 *
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5928 *
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5929 *

* Available on archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201019233532/https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3272
https://web.archive.org/web/20201020010613/https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5928
https://web.archive.org/web/20201020010612/https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5929

Rusty

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 10, 2021, 9:42:17 AM5/10/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Rusty Bird

Apr 20, 2022, 8:43:03 AM4/20/22
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 20, 2022, 9:46:13 AM4/20/22
to Rusty Bird, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes, a month later, and it's not very optimistic one:

It appears that these issues are currently hidden for reasons relating
to the accounts that opened them.

I'm unable to provide any further information about this for privacy and
security reasons however if the account holders reach out to us we may
be able to assist them directly.

Unfortunately we're unable to re-show these issues until such times as
we can work with those account holders.

Sorry it's perhaps not the news you were hoping for but please let me
know if you have any other questions.

> I just read something disturbing that might be relevant:
>
> | Apparently, “suspending an account” on GitHub actually means *deleting
> | all activity for a user* — which results in (1) every pull request
> | from the suspended account being *deleted*, (2) every issue opened by
> | the suspended account being *deleted*, (3) every comment or discussion
> | from the suspended account being *deleted*. In effect, the user’s
> | entire activity and history is evaporated.
>
> | All of a sudden, I was seeing pull requests, issues, and comments
> | disappear from users who were actively contributing to the project.
> | *We lost valuable contributions, information, context, and discussion
> | history* on issues and pull requests. We even lost pull requests that
> | were open and under active review. That work is now entirely lost.
> | Gone forever. For pull requests that _did_ merge, we have the raw
> | commit history — but that is not a substitute for a full code review
> | and discussion.
>
> https://www.jessesquires.com/blog/2022/04/19/github-suspending-russian-accounts/

Indeed, we've seen this happening. But also, we've seen comments
associated to ghost user when original author's account is no longer
accessible. I'm not sure how the method of suspending an account is
chosen.

Technically, the historical aspect of it isn't huge issue for us, as we
try to not trust github too much (which includes having enough context
in commit messages, having backups of issues, having notification email
history etc). And honestly, I find searching through email notifications
way more reliable than github's built in search. But that's still
inconvenience, especially for current ongoing work.

PS I have used gitlab.com recently in another project, for about 2
years. The project was _much_ smaller, in terms of number of issues,
repositories count, contributions count, length of discussions and
pretty much any other metric. And the subjective feeling was: gitlab is
incredibly slower than github and much less stable. There weren't a week
without "oh no, I need to type this long comment again, because
something went wrong and it wasn't saved", or "something didn't load,
try refresh few times until all the content loads". Since I (try to) not
trust web services for keeping code reviews, I have them always written
in a file first, so when this happens for a review comment, I just need
to paste it again. But that's still inconvenient.
So, while gitlab.com is an alternative, using it will cost us a lot of
frustration... I guess self-hosted instance won't be much better, but it
will require noticeable effort to maintain it (gitlab server
specifically has quite complex environment with several services
involved).

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab

Rusty Bird

Apr 20, 2022, 11:51:20 AM4/20/22
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Jinoh Kang

Apr 20, 2022, 12:01:52 PM4/20/22
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Rusty Bird, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Among the disappeared ones is the PCIe hotplug issue I reported.
I don't remember the exact issue ID, though.
Also, I never recall hearing anything from GitHub, let alone being banned.

FYI: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6620#issuecomment-850410223.

> I'm unable to provide any further information about this for privacy and
> security reasons however if the account holders reach out to us we may
> be able to assist them directly.

Would I be able to reach them even if I don't have the issue ID?

--
Sincerely,
Jinoh Kang

Demi Marie Obenour

Apr 20, 2022, 7:26:31 PM4/20/22
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Rusty Bird, Frédéric Pierret, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Demi Marie Obenour

Apr 20, 2022, 7:34:43 PM4/20/22
to Rusty Bird, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Qubes OS Development Mailing List

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 03:46:35PM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> > On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 12:32:56PM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> > > Did you ever hear back from them?
> >
> > Yes, a month later, and it's not very optimistic one:
>
> > I'm unable to provide any further information about this for privacy and
> > security reasons [...]
>
> Classic
>
> > Technically, the historical aspect of it isn't huge issue for us, as we
> > try to not trust github too much (which includes having enough context
> > in commit messages, having backups of issues, having notification email
> > history etc). And honestly, I find searching through email notifications
> > way more reliable than github's built in search.
>
> Email notifications include the comment ID:

> | https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/7359#issuecomment-1086681239
>
> Maybe GitHub's GraphQL could be queried to list all comment IDs etc.
> for comparison - and to monitor if things are getting worse.

That is a good idea.

> > PS I have used gitlab.com recently in another project, for about 2
> > years. The project was _much_ smaller, in terms of number of issues,
> > repositories count, contributions count, length of discussions and
> > pretty much any other metric. And the subjective feeling was: gitlab is
> > incredibly slower than github and much less stable.
>
> Also: gitlab.com often blocks me (or probably Tor users in general)
> from even seeing CI results unless I log in, boooooo

I suggest submitting a ticket about this. I would not be surprised if
it is to prevent DDoS attacks.

- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)