What I really miss in the wiki?

jeremia...@web.de

Apr 22, 2015, 11:22:16 PM4/22/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

the new wiki is awsome: simple, fast and has a search field :-)

FAQ Question: How can I contribute to the new wiki?
Sometimes I read something and I see errors and want to correct them,
but I don't know how!

For example:
​Virtics: A System for Privilege Separation of Legacy Desktop
Applications by Matt Piotrowski (We plan to implement some ideas from
Matt’s thesis in Qubes very soon stay tuned for details)
Source: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/QubesResearch/

1. the DisposableVM's are allready implemented in QubesOS
2. the link is not available anymore, this is the working link:
https://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2010/EECS-2010-70.pdf

I want to correct the link.
Furthermore I want to contribute sometimes to the wiki!

I also miss some important information. There are two main subjects
where I miss information.
1. The qubes development process -> a news page (something like we have
reached that milestone in Qubes R3)
2. Template Information (non-fedora)

# The qubes development process: #
- News like: we reached the Qubes R3 milstone XY
-> and a short description

- News like: we search a developer for the webpage

- E. g. every three months a small summary/overview of the development
process

things every body, who is more or less interested in qubes os, want's to
know.
I know that Joanna has her personal blog with some updates, but that is
definitivly not the same
thing than a common news page. The other thing, it is really hard to
follow the development if you are not
involved in the development process. A news page could bring the
developers and user of Qubes OS a little bit more together.

My idea is to add a new page in the top navigation which is able to read
for human and consumable via RSS news feed reader.

# Template information #
There are some additional Templates like:
whonix
archlinux
debian
fedora
fedora-minimal

but I miss the information:
1. Who maintains them?
There should be an extra section under:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/QubesResearch/

where all template maintainsers are listed.

Under Documentation should be a clear seperation between specific
existing templates and common template things.
Extending or shrinking of Template VM's is a common subject for windows
and linux. Fedora template minimal information are distribution specific.

My idea create a new section under user documentaion with the title
"TemplateVM's" and under that provide subsection for every specific
template VM with information like how to installe them, the repository
locations and how to fix problems for that specific template VM etc.
I would expect a structure like that:

TemplateVM's
| + Fedora
| + Fedora 20
| + Installation
| + Troubleshooting
| + Fedora 21
| + Fedora 20 minimal
| + Installation
| + minimal as NetVM
| + Fedora 22 beta
| + Debian
| + Debian 7 "Wheezy"
| + Installation
| + Whonix
| + Debian 8 "Jessi"
| + Archlinux
| + Installation
| + Install yaourt and bash
| + Default packages
| + Install a graphical Desktop
| + KDE
| + Gnome
| + Cinnamon
| + Xcfe

Best regards
J. Eppler

cprise

Apr 22, 2015, 11:32:08 PM4/22/15
to jeremia...@web.de, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/22/15 23:22, jeremia...@web.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the new wiki is awsome: simple, fast and has a search field :-)
>
> FAQ Question: How can I contribute to the new wiki?
> Sometimes I read something and I see errors and want to correct them,
> but I don't know how!
>
> For example:
[...]

Some of those bother me, too. Also, last I checked the doc for
qvm-backup-restore had only complex examples -- not including the
command itself.

IIRC, the expectation is that you will create a github account, clone
the wiki to it, and use that to generate pull requests that ITL can pick
from.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 22, 2015, 11:50:06 PM4/22/15
to jeremia...@web.de, qubes...@googlegroups.com