When do Qubes versions get deprecated?

Patrick Schleizer

Jul 23, 2016, 8:40:31 PM7/23/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
When do Qubes versions get deprecated?

At some point I would like to require Whonix upgrades a minimum version
number of Qubes. Such as for Whonix 14 or 15, I would like to depend on
Qubes >= R3.2.

Users using older Qubes releases trying to upgrade to a newer Whonix
version would then end up with apt-get refusing to upgrade due to
missing qubes-core-agent versioned dependency.

This is because I would like to depend on the status files
/var/run/qubes/this-is-templatevm etc. by qubes-sysinit since R3.2
without caring around the legacy stuff (such as legacy Whonix
bind-directories).

I am planning some refactoring to make the systemd dependencies more robust.

https://github.com/adrelanos/qubes-whonix/tree/qubes-whonix-postinit-split

The legacy stuff got too crowded. Would not look clean while carringy
around the legacy stuff. And without clean looks I cannot understand and
maintain it myself so I wait until old Qubes versions are no longer
supported. Example how "crowded" it would look like:

https://github.com/adrelanos/qubes-whonix/blob/qubes-whonix-postinit-split/lib/systemd/system/qubes-whonix-replace-ips.service

Cheers,
Patrick

Andrew David Wong