module-vchan-sink and alternate sample format (float32le specifically) question

daltong defourne

Jul 14, 2017, 5:10:52 AM7/14/17
to qubes-devel
Hi!

I've been poking around trying to figure out why pulseaudio equalizer has such horrible underrun/hiccup issues, and I vaguely suspect it is due to format conversion (I have been able to replicate roughly same behavior with loopback interfaces by meddling with format conversions (s16le-float32le-s24le).

Also careful reading of pulse logs indicates that the equalizer LADSPA plugin only deals in float32le and it seems to me that the s16le->float32le->s16le conversion has something to do with it.

It *seems* to me that "pre-converting" stuff before the equalizer using a null sink and a loopback fixed the issue (but it's clumsy, hard to automate, and there seems to be an unrelated sampling issue with loopback where loopbacks resample sourse no matter what, even if it's "44100->44100" (mentiones speex instead of copy in log when initializing loopback interfaces) so I want to try sending audio from the VM to the ladspa plugin in float32le format

However, I'm not smart enough to actually read module-vchan-sink  source beyond   seeing that "format" option is supported.

So before I waste a day doing something damnably stupid, I'd like to ask:

Does module-vchan-sink support format float32le (rate being left at default 44100) ?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 17, 2017, 7:06:59 AM7/17/17
to daltong defourne, qubes-devel