Announcement: Qubes 3.0-rc1 ISO and Roadmap for 2015

Joanna Rutkowska

Apr 23, 2015, 12:19:24 PM4/23/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

WhonixQubes

Apr 23, 2015, 1:07:59 PM4/23/15
to joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-04-23 9:19 am, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have just released Qubes OS 3.0-rc1 ISO!
>
> More news in this article (including the roadmap for 2015 and other
> news and
> discussions):
>
> http://blog.invisiblethings.org/2015/04/23/qubes-30rc1-and-roadmap.html
>
> Cheers,
> joanna.

Awesome stack of news!

Question:

Since labeled a "release candidate", is 3.0-rc1 a current replacement
version that we (Whonix project, etc) should be recommending for the
general populace of users to install as stable instead of R2 now?

IIRC, the R2 release candidates were treated as stable recommended over
R1 final for a while, but just wanted to make sure with the newly
refreshed R3 development cycle.

P.S. Best of luck with your new project, Joanna!

WhonixQubes

Franz

Apr 23, 2015, 4:51:25 PM4/23/15
to Joanna Rutkowska, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Axon

Apr 23, 2015, 6:08:05 PM4/23/15
to WhonixQubes, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 23, 2015, 6:29:03 PM4/23/15
to Axon, WhonixQubes, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:07:37PM +0000, Axon wrote:
> WhonixQubes wrote:
> > On 2015-04-23 9:19 am, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> We have just released Qubes OS 3.0-rc1 ISO!
> >>
> >> More news in this article (including the roadmap for 2015 and
> >> other news and discussions):
> >>
> >> [...]
> >

> > Awesome stack of news!
> >

> Indeed! Very exciting news!
>

> > Question:
> >
> > Since labeled a "release candidate", is 3.0-rc1 a current
> > replacement version that we (Whonix project, etc) should be
> > recommending for the general populace of users to install as
> > stable instead of R2 now?
> >
> > IIRC, the R2 release candidates were treated as stable recommended
> > over R1 final for a while, but just wanted to make sure with the
> > newly refreshed R3 development cycle.
> >

> Good question. I would also like to know.
>
> Basically: Should we migrate to 3.0-rc1 on a system we use for
> "important stuff" (e.g., a system on which we are *not* using the
> current-testing repo)?

I would wait few more days, but it should be stable enough for daily
usage. I've already migrated :)

Regarding Whonix - we (together with Jason) are still working on
polishing templates for R3.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 23, 2015, 6:43:24 PM4/23/15
to Raymond Rizzuto, qubes...@googlegroups.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Iestyn Best

Apr 23, 2015, 8:02:45 PM4/23/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
This is great news. Thank you for all the hard work you and your team put into this project.

I do have a question related to Windows HVM and integration. I am currently using Win8.1 and I would love to see increased compatibility for this system and other versions of windows to come.

Also, can you provide any info on the other project you are working on?

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing the releases roll out. With the releases after 3.0, will you need to perform a fresh install each time?

Regards,
Iestyn Best

Outback Dingo

Apr 23, 2015, 8:04:05 PM4/23/15
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Raymond Rizzuto, qubes...@googlegroups.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
So we should be seeing Qubes with XEN 4.5 sometime in the near future ??

> I'm looking forward to eventually spending most if not all of my time in
> Qubes.  Thanks for a great OS!

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Joanna Rutkowska

Apr 24, 2015, 2:54:56 AM4/24/15
to Axon, WhonixQubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com

7v5w7go9ub0o

Apr 24, 2015, 2:00:44 PM4/24/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 04/23/15 13:07, WhonixQubes wrote:

> Question:
>
> Since labeled a "release candidate", is 3.0-rc1 a current replacement
> version that we (Whonix project, etc) should be recommending for the
> general populace of users to install as stable instead of R2 now?

You might mention that Windows tools are not yet available for 3.0-rc1 -
for some that would be a deciding factor.