[GSOC] Qubes-MIME-Handlers Weekly Progress Report #1

Andrew Morgan

Jun 5, 2017, 10:19:11 PM6/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This is the first of many progress reports I will be writing up for my
time as a Qubes GSoC student.

For included screenshots, read it here:
https://blog.amorgan.xyz/gsoc-2017-weekly-progress-report-1.html

Otherwise, the text-only version is reproduced below.

---

The current goal for the first two weeks is to implement context menus
for both Dolphin and Nautilus that appear when right-clicking a file or
a folder. Clicking on them will result in a simple GUI to allow the user
to choose whether that file, folder or file type should always be opened
in a disposableVM aka marked as 'untrusted'.

My current progress has resulted in a context menu item in both Nautilus
and Dolphin context menus:

Nautilus Context Menu Screenshot

Dolphin Context Menu Screenshot

In addition, I also have a simple GUI written with Zenity that is
launched when clicking on the context menu item:

Zenity File Trust Dialog GUI Screenshot

There is also a specific menu item for folders which will only appear
when right-clicking a folder:

Nautilus Folder Context Menu Screenshot

Clicking this will result in a folder being marked as untrusted, meaning
any item opened within it will be opened in a disposableVM. You may want
to do this to your Downloads folder for instance!

Currently none of these items actually do anything once you've finished
clicking through them, but that's the goal for next week.

Source code can be found here:
https://github.com/anoadragon453/qubes-mime-types

See you then!

Thanks,