Centos 7 as template ?

cdem...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2017, 2:51:02 PM8/25/17
to qubes-devel

Hello,

Fedora 24 reached its EOL with Fedora 26 release; meaning F24 will receive less and less attention (and bug fix). For Qube-OS, this mean upgrading templates to F25. Once more. And the same will be true with F27 release. I installed a machine with QubeOS two years ago, I have template for F21, F23, F24, and now F25.

I was wondering if, instead of F25, we could use CentOS 7 ?

I started using it on bootable hard disks, and now I'm replacing F24/F25 on many machines with CentOS 7. The experience went rather softly.

The advantages I see:
1) evolution rather than revolution: there are significant upgrades at regular interval, but no need to bump version number and reinstall everything
2) software version are not the most up to date, but are still decent
3) large software base through EPEL and various repositories
4) management is largely similar to Fedora
5) the ability to operate softwares targetting RHEL7
6) long term support. Less updates

I didn't see any recent postings on the subject.

What do you think of it ?

Regards

Pascal

Frédéric Pierret (Epitre)

Aug 26, 2017, 7:19:50 AM8/26/17
to qubes-devel
Dear Pascal,

It could be a good idea to have CentOS template but replacing Fedora by CentOS for several daily uses in development software is hard. For example, in my case in scientific computing, I encountered a lot of problems due a fast evolution in libraries which forced me in the past to switch to Fedora instead of CentOS on my servers.

Maybe you could try to create a builder for CentOS following the repo of qubes-builder-fedora

Best Regards,
Frédéric
Message has been deleted

Frédéric Pierret (Epitre)