Backport newer 'thin-provisioning-tools' to dom0?

Chris Laprise

Jun 28, 2019, 2:56:51 PM6/28/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Before releasing my lvm backup tool, I thought I'd ask about updating
thin-provisioning-tools package from the rather old 0.5.x version in
Fedora 25 dom0 to 0.7.4 or later.

The reason is that the f25 version of 'thin_delta' is somewhat crash
prone. Although not a direct problem for data integrity, it does prevent
backups from proceeding. And since a substantial portion of users will
likely be running Qubes, I'd rather not make an appeal to manually "fix
your OS first" marring the experience.

I'm currently using thin-provisioning-tools 0.7.6 in dom0 and they work
fine with both 4.14 and 4.19 kernels; none of the updated commands have
crashed on me.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 28, 2019, 3:36:13 PM6/28/19
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Chris Laprise

Jun 28, 2019, 5:29:36 PM6/28/19
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 6/28/19 3:35 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 02:56:46PM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
>> Before releasing my lvm backup tool, I thought I'd ask about updating
>> thin-provisioning-tools package from the rather old 0.5.x version in Fedora
>> 25 dom0 to 0.7.4 or later.
>
> Which package exactly do you have in mind? thin_delta tool is part of
> device-mapper-persistent-data package, which in fc25-based dom0 is at
> 0.6.3. Is it this package you're talking about?

Yes, I meant to type 0.6.x, and forgot that Fedora has
'device-mapper-persistent-data' instead of the original package name
used by other distros.

>> The reason is that the f25 version of 'thin_delta' is somewhat crash prone.
>> Although not a direct problem for data integrity, it does prevent backups
>> from proceeding. And since a substantial portion of users will likely be
>> running Qubes, I'd rather not make an appeal to manually "fix your OS first"
>> marring the experience.
>>
>> I'm currently using thin-provisioning-tools 0.7.6 in dom0 and they work fine
>> with both 4.14 and 4.19 kernels; none of the updated commands have crashed
>> on me.
>
> If that doesn't poll enormous amount of dependencies (which I understand
> it doesn't), then I'm fine with that. We already have linux-dom0-updates
> repository, with script to easily pull and rebuild packages from fc28.
> That would be device-mapper-persistent-data 0.7.5. Would that work for
> you?

Yes, 0.7.5 would be great... Thanks! The dependencies seem pretty basic
(libexpat.so.1) and weren't a problem when I upgraded from the
github/jthornber author distro.

Chris Laprise

Jul 16, 2019, 10:41:34 AM7/16/19
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com