What new security related improvements will Release 4 have?

stevenwi...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2016, 5:24:52 PM11/26/16
to qubes-devel
So what new security related features are there in release 4 or what are you considering to implement?

Do you have grsecurity or something similar in place on Dom0 or are you considering something in that direction overall?
And would it make sense to have optional TemplateVMs during install available with grsecurity or overall by default have grsecurity in
all TemplateVMs?

Also i hope youre gonna get more devices listed on your website than can handle Qubes or how about going to some companies that build computers that can run Qubes for you and you get some money out of it too maybe?

I really like the project you are doing and i would like to test Qubes OS out but i dont really a machine thats sufficient enough, nor do i have a USB 3 with 32+ GB at hand right now.

Andrew David Wong

Nov 27, 2016, 7:50:22 PM11/27/16
to stevenwi...@gmail.com, qubes-devel

stevenwi...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2016, 2:32:47 PM11/28/16
to qubes-devel, stevenwi...@gmail.com
Nice to see those changes coming up :)

Is there any news about support for Windows Server 2012 and 2012R2 and therefore Windows 8, 8.1 and 10?

Also something about GPU Passthrough possibility in some easy way like in the VM Settings to check a box and say how much and which GPUs to pass to the VM?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 28, 2016, 7:43:14 PM11/28/16
to stevenwi...@gmail.com, qubes-devel
For discrete GPUs, you should be able to assign them via the regular
PCI passthrough "Devices" tab.

For intel integrated GPUs, this has additional complexity without a
clear solution yet.

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 6, 2016, 5:02:59 AM12/6/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel, stevenwi...@gmail.com
I would like to request that you not include purism laptops on your list
of compatible devices as they are a dishonest company ran by incompetent
people, endorsing them gives expert level credit to their claim that one
day somehow they will get intel to open up ME/FSP. (I like how they
count "freed operating system" on their list, and many other things that
other people/companies did)

There is nothing special about their laptop it is simply a crappy
quanta/oem type rebrand[1]. They could have went with an AMD (one
without PSP) or ARM chipset and actually had open source firmware and no
ME/PSP, I can't understand why they chose intel.

[1] You really can't make a whole laptop run, let alone just a custom
motherboard with only 300K in crowdfunding and still have them be
reasonably priced on a per unit basis.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 6, 2016, 7:09:11 AM12/6/16
to Tai...@gmx.com, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel, stevenwi...@gmail.com

Trammell Hudson

Dec 7, 2016, 10:31:31 AM12/7/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Tai...@gmx.com, Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel, stevenwi...@gmail.com
On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 01:09:05PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> [...]
> In hardware certification for Qubes 4.x we want to have something more.
> Not only hardware being compatible, but also as trustworthy as
> realistically possible. This "realistically" currently means we can't
> expect not including Intel ME, unfortunately. But for example we can
> require open source BIOS - and we do.

There was a discussion on the coreboot list about what is the best
Thinkpad that can support coreboot. The general consensus was the x230
and t430 series, both of which can use my modified ME firmware to shutdown
the Mangement Engine after it brings up the x86 CPU. The x230 coreboot
also removes all of the closed source blobs since it can do native RAM
init, has a DMAR support for VT-d, and doesn't require any VGA BIOS when
running a Xen patched to removed the EBDA dependencies.

The Chell Chromebook is almost perfect as a Qubes 4 machine -- it has
coreboot support out of the box, a very high-res screen, a more modern
Skylake, a real TPM, and my modified ME firmware works on it as well.
However, the keyboard is near zero-travel and the 32GB MMC drive is both
small and slow. I don't have DMAR support working, although the CPU is
supposed to support VT-d.

The other advantage of the Chromebooks is that they have open source
code for the EC devices and a fairly elegant way to attest that they
have not been tampered with. I'd love for more devices with mutable
firmware to have a similar trustworthy interface.

--
Trammell