QubesOS 4.1 status

Demi M. Obenour

Mar 5, 2019, 5:12:09 PM3/5/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
What is the status of QubesOS 4.1?  I see some commits on GitHub, but nothing on the website.

Demi

signature.asc

Andrew David Wong

Mar 5, 2019, 9:06:26 PM3/5/19
to Demi M. Obenour, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 5, 2019, 10:38:00 PM3/5/19
to Demi M. Obenour, qubes...@googlegroups.com

sagar acharya

Jun 5, 2019, 8:28:44 AM6/5/19
to qubes-devel
Dear Marek, it would be fantastic if PCI passthrough becomes trivial in qubes R4.1. Using graphic cards is so central in games and computation intensive things on GPU. Having it in dom0 and not contained in other VMs made me switch back to another OS.

Request you to add it. Thanks

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 5, 2019, 9:48:02 AM6/5/19
to sagar acharya, qubes-devel

Demi M. Obenour

Jun 6, 2019, 8:19:42 PM6/6/19
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, sagar acharya, qubes-devel
On 6/5/19 9:47 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 05:28:44AM -0700, sagar acharya wrote:
>> Dear Marek, it would be fantastic if PCI passthrough becomes trivial in qubes R4.1. Using graphic cards is so central in games and computation intensive things on GPU. Having it in dom0 and not contained in other VMs made me switch back to another OS.
>
> Simple PCI passthrough works well. The problematic case if for GPU,
> which in practice are very non-standard PCI devices, with a lot of
> vendor-specific quirks. Anyway yes, making it work reliably is on the
> roadmap, but may not be fully ready in R4.1.

What is the security status of GPU pass-through? It would be amazing
if GPU pass-through could be a fully security-supported feature,
although I understand it might not be practical. Most uses for GPU
pass-through are for games, which are not trusted at all.

If the security risks of (secondary) GPU pass-through could be
eliminated, it would be possible to have an “Allow this VM to use
hardware-accelerated graphics” checkbox in the GUI, which would be
awesome. Obviously, I am only referring to GPUs that do *not* have
control over the monitor.

Sincerely,

Demi

signature.asc

sagar acharya

Jun 7, 2019, 10:28:22 AM6/7/19
to qubes-devel
> Simple PCI passthrough works well. The problematic case if for GPU,
> which in practice are very non-standard PCI devices, with a lot of
> vendor-specific quirks. Anyway yes, making it work reliably is on the
> roadmap, but may not be fully ready in R4.1.

Thanks. I look forward to it. In my case Ryzen APU 2200G integrated graphics didn't work well with 4.20 kernel due to which I was unable to get the nvidia card to other VM. If I remember correctly, I read zen's passthrough which I was unable to implement.

Aktariel

Jun 14, 2019, 8:38:09 AM6/14/19
to qubes-devel
Will Qubes 4.1 include the improvements in Xen 4.12? (qemu security, smaller codebase, PVH/HVM only codepaths, etc)

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 14, 2019, 11:02:04 AM6/14/19
to Aktariel, qubes-devel