R2 And R3 Installer Issues - Failing At Starting Networking

Liam

Apr 30, 2015, 8:54:45 AM4/30/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Every time i attempt to install Qubes R2 or even R3 to my HP 17" Envy laptop (i7 with 8gb ram and 500gb Sata drive) the installer successfully completes and i am prompted to reboot and then it just states no bootable device was found.

Grub or Lilo or whatever boot manager Qubes uses doesn't appear to be being installed. If i use a SuperGrub boot disk i can then boot Qubes though.

After booting Qubes via SuperGrub the setup will not get any further than 'starting qubes networking' (after the vm creation) and then the system hangs. Even the mouse cursor is frozen and a hard reboot is necessary.

I have tried installing multiple times and from 2 Qubes DVDs and via USB, booted all the different kernels included, tried both kde and xfce only installs, created only the minimal service vm's and nothing helps. It always hangs at 'starting qubes networking'.

I have checked the HDD for errors with Seatools and everything seems fine. I also tried another HDD and had the same problem. Memory is fine according to Memtest too.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Are these know issues?
Any ideas or suggestions?

I tried the Users group first to no avail and hope someone here might know something about these issues.

Thanks.

Jason M

Apr 30, 2015, 10:26:50 PM4/30/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, lia...@gmail.com

I am not expert in these matters but I will attempt to assist you.

I can not address the bootable device issue very well.  Do you have an EFI enabled or GPT master partition?  That would be the first thing to check since Qubes does not support EFI yet.

As for the network issue, I have provided some details in another thread related to swiotlb may also apply to you.

Feel free to reply back in this tread with any additional questions

Liam

May 4, 2015, 7:39:52 AM5/4/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason
Thanks for your reply, i appreciate your help.

The model i have uses a standard non efi bios. Im not too fussed by the missing boot loader as i can just install one myself. It's just odd is all and i wondered if it was a known issue.

As for the networking issues, i was looking for your swiotlb post but didn't find it. Would you mind providing the link?

Thanks

Liam

ceno...@gmail.com

May 4, 2015, 2:09:11 PM5/4/15

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:39:52 AM UTC-4, Liam wrote:
As for the networking issues, i was looking for your swiotlb post but didn't find it. Would you mind providing the link?

The networking-related suggestions by Jason are in my thread, originally referencing bootloader problems but quickly transforming into network card issues.

The most detailed instructions are here:

..but you can read through the whole short thread to get an idea of the changes involved. I haven't had a chance to try the swiotlb modification myself, since I avoided the network card altogether connected a different way (usb 3G modem), but am still planning to try them out of curiosity once I'm able.