3.2 Test Initial Impressions - 20160607.iso

timcol...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 8:29:23 AM6/21/16
to qubes-devel
Hope this is right place not innappropriate!!!

Been struggling throught the installation bugaboo's and debugs as I can. The 20160607 ISO build however - UEFI enabled...Optimus Nvidia 780M, I7 4700MQ, 16 RAM, SSD - 3.2 Test has been utter success. The change from 3.1 to 3.2 (just in installation) with 4.4 kernel - has been night and day difference. From start t finish, my mind kept repeating the phrase "Wow this seems "buttery" smooth!". EXCELLENT work!!!!! Digging back in!!!!

Outback Dingo

Jun 21, 2016, 9:40:48 AM6/21/16
to timcol...@gmail.com, qubes-devel
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM, <timcol...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hope this is right place not innappropriate!!!

Been struggling throught the installation bugaboo's and debugs as I can. The 20160607 ISO build however - UEFI enabled...Optimus Nvidia 780M, I7 4700MQ, 16 RAM, SSD - 3.2 Test has been utter success. The change from 3.1 to 3.2 (just in installation) with 4.4 kernel - has been night and day difference. From start t finish, my mind kept repeating the phrase "Wow this seems "buttery" smooth!". EXCELLENT work!!!!! Digging back in!!!!

Yeah, Sorry to say but not the same results here, still having the exact same issue as I had in 3.1 with core dumps in sys-net vm using the rtl nic, works fine under Fedora 23 no problems
but not in qubes 3.1 or 3.2

Andrew David Wong

Jun 21, 2016, 10:43:00 PM6/21/16
to timcol...@gmail.com, qubes-devel

Jasper Weiss

Jun 24, 2016, 5:06:01 PM6/24/16
to qubes-devel

My first impressions of Qubes 3.1R1 are pretty good as well.
The first thing I noticed is the fact that KDE5 supports my Vaio's brightness control. KDE5 also looks a lot better. Somehow the booting process is a lot faster and smoother. It used to give me all sorts of graphical glitches right after I log in.

One thing that comes to mind though. It'd be cool to have a set_dom0_wallpaper operation. Currently you can't transfer files to dom0 so it'd be nice if you could set it from within other VM's, obviously it should result in the usual dom0 permission prompt. I'm not sure if png files could contain any malicious payload though.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 24, 2016, 9:12:24 PM6/24/16
to Jasper Weiss, qubes-devel