Install issues on ASUS UX-31

Stephen Boyd

Feb 13, 2013, 4:33:38 AM2/13/13
to qubes-devel list
Hi,
I am trying to install R2 beta1 on an ASUS ultrabook and the installation fails (long press on power button required to reboot) with the following message on the screen:
XEN (HVM) Hardware assisted paging detected.

Hardware is Intel i5-2557M cpu (so it has VT-x and VT-d) and Intel HD 3000 graphics.

Any suggestions for getting past this point in the install?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Joanna Rutkowska

Feb 13, 2013, 6:34:15 AM2/13/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Stephen Boyd
Do you have VT-x enabled in BIOS?

j.

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski

Feb 13, 2013, 6:41:18 AM2/13/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Joanna Rutkowska, Stephen Boyd
Hmm... VT-x shouldn't be needed for installation (anyway it worth check).
Do you have any other messages earlier (especially suggesting some error)?

--
Best Regards / Pozdrawiam,
Marek Marczykowski

signature.asc

Stephen Boyd

Feb 13, 2013, 8:13:50 PM2/13/13
to Marek Marczykowski, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Joanna Rutkowska
VT-d is enabled.

This error occurs fairly early in the stage 2 boot process and I can't see any obvious error messages.

Possibly relevant messages:
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 Queued Invalidation enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 Interupt Remapping enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 Shared EPT tables not enabled.
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
(XEN) - Dom0 mode : Relaxed

We then see IO-APIC IRQs enabled with old ACK method,
(XEN) Platform timer is 14.318 MHz HPET
(XEN) Allocated console ring of 16 KiB.
A list of VMX supported features, EPT supports 2MB super page,
(XEN) HVM: ASIDs enabled.
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN (HVM) Hardware assisted paging detected.

At which point it just freezes.

Stephen.

Joanna Rutkowska

Feb 14, 2013, 2:00:10 AM2/14/13
to Stephen Boyd, Marek Marczykowski, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 02/14/13 02:13, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> VT-d is enabled.

I was asking about VT-x...
signature.asc

Stephen Boyd

Feb 14, 2013, 5:09:19 AM2/14/13
to Joanna Rutkowska, Marek Marczykowski, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sorry.
VT-x is enabled as well.

Stephen.

Joanna Rutkowska

Feb 14, 2013, 8:34:38 AM2/14/13
On 02/14/13 11:09, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> Sorry.
> VT-x is enabled as well.

... and TXT? Sometime when one enables TXT, some (stupid) BIOSes lock
down VT-x so that it can only be used inside TXT mode. So, you might
want to try to disable TXT.

joanna.
signature.asc

Stephen Boyd

Feb 14, 2013, 6:46:21 PM2/14/13
to Joanna Rutkowska, Marek Marczykowski, qubes...@googlegroups.com
It was disabled (device has no TPM). Same error with it enabled or disabled.

Stephen.

Stephen Boyd

Feb 17, 2013, 3:54:47 PM2/17/13
to Joanna Rutkowska, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
At this stage I am giving up with this laptop (will re-visit when there is a significant change to the install software or someone suggests I try something) and have successfully installed qubes on another laptop purchased for the purpose - HP B030 TU).

Stephen.

Stephen Boyd

Mar 9, 2013, 4:52:49 PM3/9/13
to Joanna Rutkowska, Marek Marczykowski, qubes...@googlegroups.com