Setting up Yakukake / Redirecting keyboard shortcuts

yon...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2016, 7:55:27 PM6/14/16
to qubes-devel
I was trying to setup Yakuake to work with my recently installed system (R3.1)

I first tried to run Yakuake from Dom0 hopping to some how attach a terminal into one of the other VMs.
But since there is no net connection ssh is not an option.
I tried using `qvm-run` but couldn't see any option to get console like connection into the running terminal
(It only opens `gnome-terminal` in a new window).
I managed to get a proper xen console using `xl console` but that gives me a login shell which not only be a bit annoying to login
but also won't allow me to open two simultaneous consoles to the same vm.

Next I tried running Yakuake from inside the VM this worked surprisingly well, getting the floating teminal panel and everything
Tranperancy didn't seem to work but thats not a major issue at the moment.
The main issue wa that the keyboard shortcuts didn't work outside Yakuake window (even from other windows of the same vm) so when
I used the shortcut to hide the window it was gone and there was no way to get it back into view.

I'm not sure which solution I prefer (they both have potrntial pros and cons) But I couldn't find any leads to how to get any of them to work
Intuitively I think that it would be easier to get the global shortcut to work inside the vm
I searched a bit online and couldn't find if there's a way to set global shortcut in dom0 that will passthroe or trigger a shortcut inside one of the VMs
I also couldn't find if there is a way to get ssh like session into a vm from dom0 shell

Andrew David Wong

Jun 14, 2016, 9:25:38 PM6/14/16
to yon...@gmail.com, qubes-devel

ıuoʎ

Jun 15, 2016, 3:25:40 AM6/15/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-devel
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> On 2016-06-13 07:48, yon...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I tried using `qvm-run` but couldn't see any option to get console
> > like connection into the running terminal (It only opens
> > `gnome-terminal` in a new window).
>
> Try using the --pass-io option. It passes stdin/stdout/stderr from the
> remote program running in the VM.

Thanks Andrew.
I tried that but it doesn't seem to be working properly.
I don't get any of the shell prefix to be displayed, and not all
keyboard keys are passed properly (arrows, ctrl-c)

I managed to solve my issue with using keyboard shortcut by assigning
F12 Key to send the following command -
qvm-run -a <VM> 'dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.kde.yakuake
/yakuake/window org.kde.yakuake.toggleWindowState'

So now I can get Yakuake to run in one of the vms but hide and show it
with no issues.
I only need to see if I can get background transparency to work but
that's not a major issue.

Iestyn Best

Jun 15, 2016, 10:13:41 PM6/15/16
to qubes-devel
Sounds like some interesting work.

Would be interested in hope you go with this, please keep us updated.

Regards,
Iestyn Best
Message has been deleted

Yoni Jah

Jun 17, 2016, 7:09:25 AM6/17/16
to qubes-devel

We'll I tried to look into the transparency issue but I'm not sure I understand why it's not working.
I thought it might be some gnome setting I can enable but I think it might be due to the fact that the VM don't
have any GPU access.
So I think I'll leave it as is for now (Seeing text behind the terminal can be useful but not too critical).

rashc...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 2:34:06 PM6/17/16
to qubes-devel
I think VM can not make transparency, because it doesn't know what image is behind it's window. So only dom0 knows that, so only dom0 can do transparency.

rashc...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 8:29:33 AM6/21/16
to qubes-devel
For second approach try this: set a global shortcut in dom0, with command to launch yakuake:
qvm-run vmname yakuake
I tested this on debian based VM on R3.0 and it just works.