qvm-start always gives "Invalid kernel" error

Joel Cannon

Mar 23, 2014, 2:55:21 PM3/23/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to follow the instructions here:
http://wiki.qubes-os.org/trac/wiki/HvmCreate
But I always get the same "Invalid kernel" error.

For example, I ran the following from the terminal:
qvm-create ubuntu --hvm --label red
qvm-start ubuntu --cdrom=/dev/cdrom
But the qvm-start command gave this error:
xc: error: panic: xc_dom_bzimageloader.c:634: xc_dom_probe_bzimage_kernel: kernel is not a bzImage: Invalid kernel

This same thing happened when I tried to install: Windows XP, Windows Vista, and several other flavors of Linux.
Is there some problem communicating with the DVD?
Is the only way to do this with the dd command?

Thanks,
Joel

Andrew B

Mar 24, 2014, 6:46:14 AM3/24/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I get the same error when starting a LiveCD HVM, but it appears to have no effect--the HVM starts fine, and the proper kernel is loaded.  My Windows HVM also works fine...

vetea...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 9:49:56 PM4/19/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Get the same error as well right now (just installed Qubes)...
So if you got the solution i would really appreciate it.

I don't have time to lookup for a solution right now :(

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 20, 2014, 1:18:41 PM4/20/14
to vetea...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 20.04.2014 03:49, vetea...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Get the same error as well right now (just installed Qubes)...
> So if you got the solution i would really appreciate it.
>
> I don't have time to lookup for a solution right now :(

This error is harmless. If your HVM do not start, the problem is somewhere else.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

signature.asc

vetea...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2014, 1:35:25 PM4/20/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, vetea...@gmail.com
Indeed it finally works.
It seems my dom0 was not completely updated from the last update and I did not notice it.

However i'm facing new issues now... and it seems related to the used ISO localization (when installing the windows tools).