CVE-2016-5696 - "Off-Path TCP Exploits: Global Rate Limit Considered Dangerous"

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 12, 2016, 10:58:57 PM8/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Schleizer
"Off-Path TCP Exploits: Global Rate Limit Considered Dangerous"

"In a nutshell, the vulnerability allows a blind
off-path attacker to infer if any two arbitrary hosts on
the Internet are communicating using a TCP connection.
Further, if the connection is present, such an off-path at-
tacker can also infer the TCP sequence numbers in use,
from both sides of the connection; this in turn allows
the attacker to cause connection termination and perform
data injection attacks. We illustrate how the attack can
be leveraged to disrupt or degrade the privacy guarantees
of an anonymity network such as Tor, and perform web
connection hijacking. Through extensive experiments,
we show that the attack is fast and reliable. On average,
it takes about 40 to 60 seconds to finish and the success
rate is 88% to 97%."

https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/08/10/sec16_tcp_pure_offpath.pdf

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2016-5696

#####

Said to be fixed in linux 4.7, which is not yet available from any
package sources.

The often quoted workaround for now:

/etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999
sysctl -p

So it would also suffice if that fix was applied in sys-net?

Should a Qubes security upgrade apply this workaround?

Cheers,
Patrick

Ilpo Järvinen

Aug 13, 2016, 4:28:52 PM8/13/16
to Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Schleizer
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, Patrick Schleizer wrote:

> "Off-Path TCP Exploits: Global Rate Limit Considered Dangerous"
>
> https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/08/10/sec16_tcp_pure_offpath.pdf
>
> https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2016-5696
>
> #####
>
> Said to be fixed in linux 4.7, which is not yet available from any
> package sources.
>
> The often quoted workaround for now:
>
> /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999
> sysctl -p
>
> So it would also suffice if that fix was applied in sys-net?

Why do you think that sys-net in particular need this workaround?
Normally it is not an endpoint for any TCP connections? The workaround
helps (and the attack works) only if it's applied to the kernel which
terminates the attacked TCP connection.

I don't think that it is such clear cut that sys-net is enough,
although attacking TCP connections that are terminated behind
NAT is somewhat more difficult. The attacker needs to have
a legimite connection to the VM behind NAT for challenge ack
counting purposes. To have such connection, the attacker would
need to trick the user to initiate a TCP connection to a host
under his control from the same VM as the attacked connection
(Fig 2 case from the paper). Whether that is realizable for the
off-path attacker depends on TCP usage patterns of a VM.

--
i.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 13, 2016, 4:53:26 PM8/13/16
to Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Schleizer

Patrick Schleizer

Aug 14, 2016, 9:24:25 AM8/14/16
to Ilpo Järvinen, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Schleizer
Ilpo Järvinen:
I agree, should we decide to deploy this workaround, it would not hurt
to apply it everywhere. (Also to cover non-standard cases of people not
using sys-net or so.)

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick Schleizer