Snort preinstalled in QubesOS

Jonas

Jun 23, 2020, 8:57:10 AM6/23/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Why are No Network introduction system preinstalled.

And why are No Firewall Messages to allow outgoing and ingoing Network Firewall Message popuped Like in opensnitch

Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

bradbury9

Jul 7, 2020, 8:39:39 AM7/7/20
to qubes-devel
NIDS: Should be pretty straighforward in QubeOS architecture, just create a proxyVM and install the NIDS software in its template. After you are done configuring it, boot it, check network connectivity and if everything is fine, configure the VM's to use the nidsVM as its nerwork VM.

HIDS: I really do not see its ue case. If you are in need of a HIDS, either you dont trust what it is installed on the template (should not install untrusted software in it) or the VM usage is not trusted (you should be using disposable VM's and Qubes has them)

The only use case I find for a HIDS is if you have a VM serving as a server, and want to really know there is nothing suspicious in its private files.

Zrubi

Jul 17, 2020, 8:42:08 AM7/17/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

OutBackdingo

Jul 17, 2020, 10:34:55 AM7/17/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 7/17/20 7:42 PM, Zrubi wrote:

> On 2020-06-23 12:57, 'Jonas' via qubes-devel wrote:
>> Why are No Network introduction system preinstalled.
>>
>> And why are No Firewall Messages to allow outgoing and ingoing
>> Network Firewall Message popuped Like in opensnitch
> I have already made a PoC about this:
> http://zrubi.hu/en/2017/traffic-analysis-qubes/
>
> Why it is not a default?
> Probably because:
> - - it is not trivial to setup the intrusion rules,
> - - it may provides an additional attack surface,
> - - it is surely not needed for everyone ;)

I think suricata would be the better choice here....

Scarpafo Scarpafo

Jul 17, 2020, 10:48:46 AM7/17/20
to OutBackdingo, qubes-devel
Hello

Just create a template with security tools so you can do what you need. I think QubesOS don't have to add it by default but this would be good to have in some kind of community security template.

Zrubi

Jul 17, 2020, 11:02:41 AM7/17/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Scarpafo Scarpafo

Jul 17, 2020, 11:12:30 AM7/17/20
to Zrubi, qubes-devel
No sorry, i will :)

Outback Dingo

Jul 18, 2020, 12:23:49 AM7/18/20
to bradbury9, qubes-devel

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 19:39 bradbury9 <ray.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
NIDS: Should be pretty straighforward in QubeOS architecture, just create a proxyVM and install the NIDS software in its template. After you are done configuring it, boot it, check network connectivity and if everything is fine, configure the VM's to use the nidsVM as its nerwork VM.

HIDS: I really do not see its ue case. If you are in need of a HIDS, either you dont trust what it is installed on the template (should not install untrusted software in it) or the VM usage is not trusted (you should be using disposable VM's and Qubes has them)

The only use case I find for a HIDS is if you have a VM serving as a server, and want to really know there is nothing suspicious in its private files.

My guess is you've never had a desktop hacked into....

El martes, 23 de junio de 2020 a las 14:57:10 UTC+2, Jonas escribió:
Why are No Network introduction system preinstalled.

And why are No Firewall Messages to allow outgoing and ingoing Network Firewall Message popuped Like in opensnitch

Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

Scarpafo Scarpafo

Jul 18, 2020, 12:33:24 AM7/18/20
to Outback Dingo, bradbury9, qubes-devel
Stay cool guys. Be nice.

You can use the HIDS as an EDR but you need a server in backend. The problem is we are speaking about a laptop most of the time and use all this server features on a laptop will drop the batterie from 2h with QubesOS to 10 min xD...

Jonas

Jul 18, 2020, 5:21:43 AM7/18/20
to ma...@zrubi.hu, qubes...@googlegroups.com
No, can you give me the Link to IT?

I have yet choose suricate, but I have Not found a notify Tool.

But write some Tool for this.

Www.Pastebin.com/AnFmShSP

Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

On 2020-07-17 14:34, OutBackdingo wrote:

>> I think suricata would be the better choice here....
have you read my blog?
that's what I used too :)

--
Zrubi