qvm-revert-template-changes in Qubes 4

Elias Mårtenson

Mar 8, 2018, 5:52:14 AM3/8/18
to qubes-devel
As far as I understand, qvm-revert-template-changes has been removed in Qubes 4 (at least I can't find it), and the alternative solution is to manually create an LVM clone that you can revert to later if needed.

I have to admit that I'm not sure of the syntax to actually do this, so it would be very helpful to have some commandline tools to help out with this.

Is this something that has been considered?

Regards,
Elias

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 8, 2018, 6:00:44 AM3/8/18
to Elias Mårtenson, qubes-devel
The functionality has been moved to qvm-volume tool.
You can use it like this:

qvm-volume revert fedora-26:root

It require the volume to have revisions_to_keep > 0. There was a bug
that resulted in setting it to 0, fixed only recently in 4.0-rc5.
It should be also possible to dynamically change the value, but there is
no UI (even command line) for that right now:

If you set revisions_to_keep to higher value (like 3), you'll be able to
revert also to older revisions, not just the previous one. But this
require the above issue to be fixed...

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

awokd

Mar 8, 2018, 6:03:17 AM3/8/18
On Thu, March 8, 2018 10:52 am, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> As far as I understand, qvm-revert-template-changes has been removed in
> Qubes 4 (at least I can't find it), and the alternative solution is to
> manually create an LVM clone that you can revert to later if needed.
>
> I have to admit that I'm not sure of the syntax to actually do this, so
> it would be very helpful to have some commandline tools to help out with
> this.

Sorry, not sure of the syntax either.

> Is this something that has been considered?

See discussion here
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3495#issuecomment-361064400
and https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3256.