QLab remote command palettes

micpool

Nov 19, 2016, 12:07:26 PM11/19/16
to QLab
Here's another example of the potential of carts for things other than playing cues directly. Here's a  screenshot (iPad and mac) of a basic remote that also has buttons to change the master level of the selected cue.
Obviously in this application the intention is that the remote is next to the main system as a playback or programming wing touch screen.

Because QLab Remote can display and operate a separate cue list to the main program, it can be used to construct helper palettes using OSC cues.

Unfortunately, it's too laggy to be of much practical benefit at present. In particular the next and previous seem to take an age and the presses don't queue and on my system the go is too slow to be usable. (as is the normal GO Button on a QLab remote cue list  page.) but if the latency can improve this is potentially very useful for all sorts of things.

I've attached a workspace to play with.

Mic
QLab Cart remote.zip

Brent Lord

Nov 22, 2016, 12:05:51 PM11/22/16
to QLab
Hi Mic -

This is incredible!!!  It's exciting to see these possibilities in action so soon after release.

We've been working on some ideas to improve the response time of the Cart buttons. The culprit is that "single-tap" and "double-tap" both are present as distinct gestures on each button. So when iOS receives a tap, it needs to wait for the double-tap window to elapse before it can say "times up, that was a single tap, not a double-tap". I believe that's the primary source of the latency you are experiencing.

We really want to avoid having to add an Edit Mode / Show Mode toggle in QLab Remote, so instead we're going to try out a different approach. If we change the Editing gestures in Cart mode to require 2 fingers instead of 1, then iOS doesn't need to wait around for that double-tap window and single-finger taps can trigger nearly instantly.

I mentioned in another thread that we should be able to release a 4.0.1 beta later today. (Just waiting on approval from Apple for the TestFlight beta.) This build will include this change to the gestures. Two-finger double-tap will open the cue inspector in cart view, two-finger long-press will move a cue to a new cart position.

Admittedly this change comes at the expense of some "discoverability". But we'll see how it feels to the beta testers and get some more feedback before we make the change public.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

Brent

garret...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2016, 1:38:02 PM11/26/16
to QLab
Hello Brent,

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Edit mode / Show mode toggle is a basic concept that is understood by those that use Qlab. With that said, before I came and read this, I was expecting to find an edit / show mode toggle in the settings. And because tapping twice brought up the edit mode, it made it very difficult to use for me, and would not work for the application I wanted.

I realize that making it so that you have to use two fingers would greatly eliminate this issue, but I personally think that the Edit / Show mode concept is ideal for most  situations because once the show editing is done, you don't want to accidentally be editing a cue mid-show.

Also, Mic, I LOVE this idea, and we would be looking at using Qlab to control an event space that needs a simple set of controls. The ability to toggle a microphone on and off, fade in and fade out background music, trigger slides, and do some minimal light adjustment. The iPad app with the Cart function would make it easy for anyone to use, but we would want to keep people from editing accidentally. I realize that isn't a "normal" use for Qlab, but for what I normally use Qlab for, I'd also prefer and edit / show mode. But that's just my two cents.

Great work on Qlab 4 and the remote app! I'm excited to see what you guys do in future updates!