setting up Yamaha 01v midi device.

Ken Frederickson

Sep 9, 2013, 8:47:44 PM9/9/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I have 2 - 01vs,(master/Slave) and an ETC expression 3 light console.
for some reason each 01v takes up 8 ports. in the midi patching preferences.
and the ETC uses only one.
when i plug my usb cables into my computer the 01vs "bump the ETC off of the list.
does anyone know how to reduce the # number of ports used by the 01v's?
also sometimes I can plug my ETC in and it will go to the top of the list, but more often than not it will get bumped down as i plug in 01v's.  any ideas?
I have tried every combination of plugging and unplugging the consoles.
the 01v's seem to take the top 12 positions not leaving any open ports for the ETC.

Christopher Ashworth

Sep 10, 2013, 10:52:45 AM9/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

For what it's worth, version 3 allows you access all MIDI outputs, rather than just the first 12.

I'm afraid I don't know an answer to the immediate question, though.

-C

Richard B. Ingraham

Sep 10, 2013, 11:09:47 AM9/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com

Well if the 01v has a USB port it must be a 01v96 actually.  I think the easiest solution might be to forget about plugging in the mixers via USB, pick up a single or dual port USB MIDI interface and plug them in that way.  It’s been years since I’ve used a 01V96’s USB MIDI like that and it was on a PC, not a Mac, so I don’t know if there is an option to make it appear as fewer MIDI devices or not.  But going with external hardware MIDI ports would probably solve that and frankly based on my experiences using Yamaha console’s USB or Network MIDI ports I would suggest going that way anyway.  Because I have found those virtual ports to be less than reliable and tend to disappear on you and the ports stop responding.  Again my experiences like that are in the PC world, so perhaps their Mac drivers work better, but I wouldn’t bet on it.  Yamaha never seems to write the most stable drivers for their gear, particularly when using software other than their own editors.

Richard B. Ingraham

RBI Computers and Audio

www.rbicompaudio.20m.com

Sam Kusnetz

Sep 10, 2013, 11:13:40 AM9/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Richard B. Ingraham wrote:
Because I have found those virtual ports to be less than reliable and tend to disappear on you and the ports stop responding.  Again my experiences like that are in the PC world, so perhaps their Mac drivers work better, but I wouldn’t bet on it.  Yamaha never seems to write the most stable drivers for their gear, particularly when using software other than their own editors.

I can say from experience, sadly, that the Mac side of things is the same or worse than the PC side. I find myself jumping through all kinds of hoops to avoid having to deal with Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver all the time.

I agree with Richard: use the MIDI port for MIDI.

Cheerio
Sam

--
Sam Kusnetz
QLab Support Operative

Richard B. Ingraham

Sep 10, 2013, 11:22:54 AM9/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com

Sad, but not surprising really.  J

Richard B. Ingraham

RBI Computers and Audio

www.rbicompaudio.20m.com

I can say from experience, sadly, that the Mac side of things is the same or worse than the PC side. I find myself jumping through all kinds of hoops to avoid having to deal with Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver all the time.

I agree with Richard: use the MIDI port for MIDI.

Cheerio

.

Dave Tosti-Lane

Sep 10, 2013, 12:38:27 PM9/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
+1 – I use the USB for Studio Manager, but always go to an external and regular MIDI cables for anything else.
Dave Tosti-Lane

From: Sam Kusnetz <s...@figure53.com<mailto:s...@figure53.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 Tue, Sep 10, 8:13
To: "ql...@googlegroups.com<mailto:ql...@googlegroups.com>" <ql...@googlegroups.com<mailto:ql...@googlegroups.com>>

s...@figure53.com<mailto:s...@figure53.com>

Ken Frederickson

Sep 10, 2013, 5:13:33 PM9/10/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all of the feedback.  The problem with going midi into the o1v is that they are using the midi ports to cascade together. But,  I was able to use the MIDI utility in the mac preferences to re-order the usb midi interface.  I put it first in the list and it stayed at the top of the list of midi devices in the qlab patch window.! hopefully that sticks!  as it is, today was the first day in about 4 days where i actually got the boards to respond to q lab and for q lab to respond to the ETC console. so fingers crossed.

Valdecyr Alves

Apr 30, 2016, 1:27:41 PM4/30/16
to QLab
I am so desperate to control our church's 01v (not 01v96), via the laptop! I already have the midi connectors on the mixer going to a usb on the laptop. I have Studio Manager and can get Cakewalk as well, but can't figure out how to make the mixer 'obey' the commands... anyone willing to help me out? feel free to touch base via phone or email as well... 4438323711 valdecy...@gmail.com.

thanks in advance.