The work with Shen

Antti Ylikoski

Nov 21, 2016, 8:22:18 AM11/21/16
to Shen

I first came to the Shen community as a result of my plan to convert
the MRS system by Professor Michael Genesereth's group in Stanford,
into the modern Common LISP.  I decided to alter my plans, and author
a Shen Reasoning System, I shall call this one the SRS.

To my knowledge, the international copyright laws state that:

If a party NN have created an intellectual creation X, and the party
K.K. have edited, modified, improved, and augmented X to the extent
that the resulting intellectual creation Y can justifiably be
considered an independent intellectual work, then the copyright can be
transferred to the party K.K.  It also is possible that the copyrights
belong jointly to the parties NN and K.K.

There actually exist many plans and sketches for the SRS.  It is left
to the further consideration, whether the SRS can be considered "an
independent intellectual creation".  If I had simply converted the MRS
into the Common LISP, then the work would have been legally comparable
to somebody translating a book into another language, no more than
that.  And before making that work public, it would have been
necessary for me to ask for an explicit written permission from Dr
Genesereth's group at Stanford.  This, in spite of the fact that the
source of the Stanford MRS is in the public domain.

Also, there exist many well-known expert system shells, such as the
CLIPS (the C Language Integrated Production System) and the JESS (the
Java Expert System Shell), some of the plans and sketches for the SRS
contain the plan to author some kind of a CLIPS or a JESS in the Shen
Professional, in which case it would be industrially usable.

The selfsame notes as to the international copyright laws apply.

yours, A. J. Y.
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.

Mark Tarver

Nov 21, 2016, 8:25:26 AM11/21/16
to qil...@googlegroups.com
I think any program written in Shen belongs to the person who writes it apart from any kernel code which is carried with it which is under BSD and therefore, under my copyright, but free for any use.  Good luck with your SRS.

bw

Mark

Antti Ylikoski

Nov 21, 2016, 11:27:35 AM11/21/16
to Shen

There is one side product from my SRS project.  I would like to
present to the group the question, How do the group think, might
anyone wish to purchase the Shen version of the CLIPS expert systems
building tool.  I decided to christen it the SIPS, in the spirit of
whimsical arconyms for various software.  (CLIPS is the C Language
Integrated Production System, SIPS would be the Shen Integrated
Production System.)

The Wikipedia for the CLIPS is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLIPS

In short, the CLIPS is a C language based expert system building tool.
It can handle symbolic S-expressions, similar to those of LISP, and it
will run both forward chaining and backward chaining.

The CLIPS has a large number of successful applications in the wide
world to my knowledge.

The CLIPS is fairly efficient since it runs the so called Rete
algorithm for inference.  (Rete ryhmes with "treaty".)

The Rete algorithm was invented by Charles Forgy et al in the
Carnegie-Mellon for efficiently running production systems.  The
algorithm, in short, will "precompile" its productions so that they
will run fast.

The Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rete_algorithm

yours, A. J. Y.