Antti's suggestion and a possible solution - online education

Mark Tarver

Jun 12, 2015, 4:25:04 PM6/12/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Antti Ylikoski (https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/qilang/p-MrQ9hCiwU) suggested a whole bunch of interesting implementations.

Back in the day I wanted to implement a logic lab; a software playground for people to experiment with AI reasoning approaches.   The trouble as ever is funding.

Now I'm going to finish an online course very soon and look to prepare the next one.  I found I could not do LPC as a course - the book made that rather redundant.   However what would people feel about a course on mechanised reasoning starting with databases, to semantic nets, Horn clause logic, FOL and high performance inferencing?

Mark

Mark Tarver

Jun 12, 2015, 4:35:30 PM6/12/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, dr.mt...@gmail.com
FYI - here is some output from a high-performance first-order logic engine I've just built in the last few days called HYPERPLAN.   HYPERPLAN has compiled the axioms of naive set theory (st) - (prod x y z) = x is the product of y and z, (eq x y) = x and y are the same sets; un = union.  It shows the kind of thing one can do in Shen.  As you can see even on a feeble monocore 1.3GHz laptop - you can get 1 million inferences a second.  This is the kind of stuff one might study.

Mark

(1-) (hyperplan (st))
compiling background theory

run time: 16.441999912261963 secs
enter assumptions> []
enter conclusion> [all x [all y [[prod x y e] => [eq x e]]]]

run time: 0.01599884033203125 secs
3133 inferences
true
enter assumptions> []
enter conclusion> [all x [all y [all z [[sub z y] => [[un x y z] => [un x y y]]]]]]

run time: 0.015001296997070313 secs
14161 inferences
true
enter assumptions> []
enter conclusion> [all x [all y [[pow x y] => [m y x]]]]

run time: 1.4039993286132813 secs
1469383 inferences
true

Mark Tarver

Jun 12, 2015, 4:36:30 PM6/12/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, dr.mt...@gmail.com
oh e = the empty set and pow x y = x is the powerset of y

Antti Ylikoski

Jun 12, 2015, 11:38:42 PM6/12/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com
I think that it would be a good idea.  However, I will have to delve into the LPC thoroughly before I can say anything very exact and very detailed about the activity.

A. J. Y.

Antti Ylikoski

Jun 12, 2015, 11:38:42 PM6/12/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com

Mark Tarver

Jun 14, 2015, 4:17:46 PM6/14/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, dr.mt...@gmail.com
Hyperplan 1.02 - better performance.

(2-) (hyperplan (st))

compiling background theory

run time: 16.754000186920166 secs
enter assumptions> []
enter conclusion> [all x [all y [[prod x y e] => [eq x e]]]]

run time: 0.0 secs
2302 inferences
true
enter assumptions> []
enter conclusion> [all x [all y [all z [[sub z y] => [[un x y z] => [un x y y]]]]]]

run time: 0.01599884033203125 secs
18995 inferences
true
enter assumptions> []
enter conclusion> [all x [all y [[pow x y] => [m y x]]]]

run time: 0.0149993896484375 secs
18679 inferences
true

Shen Prolog is actually faster than I thought; for an occurs-check Prolog on a modest laptop, these are good figures.

Mark