[ANN] Shen/Scheme 0.16

Bruno Deferrari

Jan 13, 2018, 2:23:10 PM1/13/18
to qil...@googlegroups.com
New release of Shen/Scheme with a rewritten compiler, and with Chez
Scheme as the underlying platform. Support for Chibi and Gauche was
dropped, I don't know if other Schemes are going to be supported in
the future, for now all work will focus Chez.

There are many changes but the most important one is that the
underlying platform is Chez, and that because of it performance is
much, much better than on previous releases. This release was a bit
conservative in terms of optimisations, performance is likely to
improve even more in future releases.

Windows binaries are provided (shen-scheme-0.16-windows-bin.zip, see
Release URL) for Windows users. The shen-scheme.exe executable is
statically linked so it should work as-is as long as shen.boot is kept
in the same directory. If anyone experiences any problems please let
me know.

For other platforms the source tarball I uploaded
(shen-scheme-0.16-src.tar.gz, not the one generated by Github) is
recommended because it includes some pre-compiled files that are not
part of the git repository and that make the build process easier.

== Home page:

https://github.com/tizoc/shen-scheme

== Release URL:

https://github.com/tizoc/shen-scheme/releases/tag/0.16

== Changelog

- Updated for Shen 20.1.
- Totally rewritten compiler in Shen.
- Swiched platform to Chez Scheme.
- Dropped support for Gauche Scheme and Chibi Scheme.

--
BD