On the Shen Reasoning System

Antti Ylikoski

May 30, 2015, 1:10:27 PM5/30/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com
I understand that there is there the idea or the plan to build a
system corresponding to the MRS, or a MRS like but better system, with
Shen.

I would love to learn more about these plans.

One possibility would be to simply convert the CL MRS to Shen.
Converting CL code to Shen of course would be very straightforward.

Another option would be to design and implement a Shen reasoning
system based on the construction of the MRS, but a novel and hopefully
a better system, optimally with some novel innovations.  I understand
that this one is the way to go, that has been planned.  I shall get
the LPC book by Dr Tarver and delve into it when I shall have time for
that.  It may be necessary to get the Book of Shen as well.

It also is relevant as to these plans that I currently am searching
for a new employment, which will influence the amount of time and work
I can dedicate to the CL MRS project.  My alma mater was the Aalto
University, http://www.aalto.fi, which is considered a very bad
employer by many individuals.

regards, Antti Y
Helsinki, Finland

Mark Tarver

May 30, 2015, 2:26:26 PM5/30/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, antti.y...@gmail.com
The Shen reasoning system (whose components are on my computer) was designed to enable programmers to do formal proofs about programs and Shen programs in particular.  Rather different from MRS.

Mark

Mark Tarver

May 30, 2015, 4:20:04 PM5/30/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, dr.mt...@gmail.com, antti.y...@gmail.com
You should be able to improve on the MRS using types; you can implement an LCF-style system - or a program synthesis tool a la Martin Lof.

Mark

Mark Tarver

May 30, 2015, 4:30:42 PM5/30/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, dr.mt...@gmail.com, antti.y...@gmail.com

Antti Ylikoski

May 30, 2015, 6:57:29 PM5/30/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, antti.y...@gmail.com
OK; yes I see; I was a little bit careless in the use of language; the words "the Shen reasoning system" refer to your program proof system; I intended to express there, "the Shen version of the MRS system".

The last time I learned about program verification and proving programs, I was said to that the full scale program verification is an undecidable problem.  It is EXTREMELY interesting if you have some good results as to creating proofs for programs.  Could you tell here a little about those results?

regards, Antti Y
Helsinki, Finland

Mark Tarver

May 30, 2015, 8:31:08 PM5/30/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com
What I have will instantaneously translate any purely functional Shen program into a set of (conditional) equations in polymorphically typed second-order logic.   But to make that into a program verification system you need an IDE and a library of tactics and for that you need time and £.

Mark

Mark Tarver

May 31, 2015, 6:56:52 AM5/31/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, dr.mt...@gmail.com
The thing is that automated reasoning systems have many applications - from data handling to expert systems to program verification to hardware verification to solving challenge problems.  You have to be clear about what domain you want to enter.

And the systems are seriously big.  the BMTP was about 100K lines of Lisp.    You can divide that by 3 for Shen but that's still big.   To embark on that you need to capitalise the effort.

Mark
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to qilang+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Antti Ylikoski

May 31, 2015, 11:14:27 AM5/31/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com

OK, thanks Mark for a short but really good point on the usefulness of
automated reasoning systems.

Right now I feel there are there two courses of action that could be
taken:

a) I could finish converting and building the CL MRS, and then comment
and document and e-mail it for the Shen group, in order for them to be
able to build a corresponding capability in the Shen language; or

b) I could start specifying a Shen MRS system here in this group, plus
of course with all the other existing telework forms, personal
messages and such, and then I could operate as a MRS consultant for
the Shen MRS group.

How do you think Mark, what would be the most intelligent :)) thing to
do about this work?

regards, Antti Y
Helsinki, Finland

Mark Tarver

May 31, 2015, 11:38:35 AM5/31/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, antti.y...@gmail.com
What I tell most people who approach me; you should follow your heart.  I think probably most members of the Shen will support you if you want to specify the MRS in Shen, so b) is probably better.   You might give a thought as to what you want your system to do - do you have a practical application or is it for interest?   Either way if you want to do it in Shen you have to begin with the type theory and the data structures of the system.  You need to define the MRS as a math'l structure.

Mark