new book on Shen standard library

Mark Tarver

Jan 16, 2018, 7:11:38 AM1/16/18
to Shen
Willi and I have been discussing the creation of a comprehensive OS standard library for Shen.  Such systematic documentation as exists has been written largely by Willi and he is expanding on it.  We have agreed to join together to write a book on this bringing our joint knowledge together.  The text will cover an extended maths library (Willi),  strings (Willi and Mark), regex handling (Mark), vectors (Willi and Mark), higher-order functions (Willi and Mark),  lists (Willi), file handling (Mark), concurrency (Mark), the Ring (Mark).  The writing will take about a year.   We'll be asking for suggestions as we go along.

A lot of this material is already in SP which is serving as an incubator for Shen development.  So a big thank you to the SP sponsors.

The OS kernel and the SP kernel are being merged; patches are being passed to Bruno.

Pygmalion is likely to be developed inside SP but will not go OS until maybe 2020.   As old stuff passes into OS, new stuff will be developed.  The focus of the new stuff will be NLP and information processing.  This is a hot area with many applications.  On the slate is an SQL->Shen transpiler.

Sorry for deleting the earlier post.  The title was misleading; this is not a new TBoS.  This is an entirely new work.

Mark