Shen Talk At LambdaConf

deech

May 16, 2016, 5:46:24 PM5/16/16
to Shen
Hi all,
I'm giving a talk on Shen at a functional programming conference called LambdaConf [1] a week from Friday. The idea is to present a bunch of cool things that one can do with Shen that would be either very difficult or impossible in other languages. The audience will probably consist of experienced Clojure or Haskell/Scala programmers well-versed with HM type systems.

Here's the abstract:
The speaker will present on Shen, the Lisp stunt-double that other languages wish they had! It is one of the most innovative statically- AND dynamically-typed languages around, and by not picking a side, is more powerful and flexible than both. HLists? Cake. Type migration at runtime? No problem! Embedding another language, syntax and all seamlessly into Shen code? Done. Hate playing type-tetris with some random API? Want to parse the API and have a Prolog do it for you? Better Send Shen! The talk will cover these tricks and more with complete code examples. Shen knowledge is not required. Although this is NOT an introductory talk, it should be easy to pick up for experienced programmers. Familiarity with Lisp and or statically-types languages like Scala and Haskell will help.

If folks have any other ideas or nice snippets of code they'd like to share I'm all ears. You will be credited, of course.

Thanks!
-deech

deech

May 16, 2016, 5:50:40 PM5/16/16
to Shen
Forgot the LambdaConf link: http://lambdaconf.us/.

Raoul Duke

May 16, 2016, 5:50:45 PM5/16/16
to qilang
wow. nice!

pretty please, get it recorded for posterity?? :)

Mark Tarver

May 17, 2016, 3:56:44 AM5/17/16
to qil...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations; you have all our support.

bw

Mark

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
wow. nice!

pretty please, get it recorded for posterity?? :)

deech

May 30, 2016, 11:17:05 AM5/30/16
to Shen
Here are the slides: https://github.com/deech/lambdaconf-shen-talk/blob/master/Talk.org and the code: https://github.com/deech/lambdaconf-shen-talk for the talk. I'll post the video when it becomes available.

As a side note a few people mistook me for the creator. I hastened to correct them but they get that impressions because it seems as though I am the only one talking about it. If you're enthusiastic about Shen please consider spreading the word. Also, Mark, I think some outreach by you despite your views on open source etc. would be well received.

Mark Tarver

Jun 3, 2016, 4:47:58 PM6/3/16
to Shen

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 4:17:05 PM UTC+1, deech wrote:
Here are the slides: https://github.com/deech/lambdaconf-shen-talk/blob/master/Talk.org and the code: https://github.com/deech/lambdaconf-shen-talk for the talk. I'll post the video when it becomes available.

As a side note a few people mistook me for the creator. I hastened to correct them but they get that impressions because it seems as though I am the only one talking about it. If you're enthusiastic about Shen please consider spreading the word. Also, Mark, I think some outreach by you despite your views on open source etc. would be well received.

There is a limit to the degree to which I can invest time outside my SP clients which have priority (as do a number of projects I'm working on in parallel outside the scope of this group).  I'll take this on board for consideration.  With group membership now approaching 500, it is possible to consider online lectures; but they will be costed.  I'm afraid that the OS model has serious problems beyond my capacity to fix.   It can only be considered as a loss leader to activities which directly support my work and make it possible.   But I'll look at making a short video and see how that floats.

Mark

fuzzy wozzy

Jun 4, 2016, 9:15:44 AM6/4/16
to Shen

if some shenturians created a userware for useraware, released it for free or almost free,
to promote interest, and people see the benefits and opt for professional version...

case in point> angry bird was once a freeware or very close to it, now a movie

MyEastern Edge

Jul 21, 2016, 3:30:08 AM7/21/16
to Shen
It would be awesome if you did even home video introduction to Shen, shen programming and just make a youtube channel.

I am brand new to programming and decided through broad research to go down lisp avenues and i am on the fence Clojure, WolfRam Language Or Shen.

But i am not able to get the books as i am in Philippines so Shen would be great if an educational initiate was started.

Would be perfect timing with Shen Professional ramping up and the books are available , just need some activity and introduction material .

Cheers

Peter

Mark Tarver

Jul 21, 2016, 5:10:11 AM7/21/16
to Shen
This will happen, at least as far as I am concerned, and it will be at an affordable price.  High-quality educational videos are time intensive creations, so something has to go back into production otherwise creation cannot be maintained.  There is a definite development plan and I need to finish Shen Professional to a level I find satisfactory.  The good news is that we are on target timewise, perhaps ahead of schedule, which is rare for software projects. By the end of the summer, I will be able to be outwardly directed to selling and educating people in Shen.  I'll be working on some of this stuff during my break.

Mark