[ANN] Shen for Android

Tatsuya Tsuda

Dec 26, 2017, 10:35:11 AM12/26/17
to Shen
I would like to announce Shen for Android, which is now available on Google Play.

- Short introduction of the app

- Google Play url

To run the Shen test suite
(run-shen-test)
or the three expressions below
(cd "shen/test") (load "README.shen") (load "tests.shen")

Compared to the current version of Shen for iOS, Shen for Android has improved UI and new features including:
- Easy editing of multiline expressions
- Uses a monospace font Inconsolata
- Inputs are automatically stored to a file and could be loaded using the "Prev" and "Next" special keys
- App state will be preserved between app switching

Based on these improvements, I would also like to improve Shen for iOS later at some point.

BTW I have read that running Qi on mobile was one of the reason Mark came back from India and I am happy that we can now run Shen on both iOS and Android :)
I hope you all will enjoy!

Tatsuya Tsuda

Mark Tarver

Dec 28, 2017, 8:04:11 AM12/28/17
to Shen
thankyou for this great contribution.

Mark :)

Robert Herman

Dec 28, 2017, 8:09:26 AM12/28/17
to Shen
Yes, thank you! I just purchased it, and I am having too much fun being able to practice my Shen-fu while on my phone!

Tatsuya Tsuda

Dec 28, 2017, 12:48:49 PM12/28/17
to Shen
You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words :)

Tatsuya

2017年12月28日木曜日 22時04分11秒 UTC+9 Mark Tarver:

Tatsuya Tsuda

Dec 28, 2017, 12:53:34 PM12/28/17
to Shen
Thanks for the purchase Robert! Happy to hear you having fun :)
Also thanks for the feedback in the app review.
Since the purpose of Shen for Android was to develop a simple Shen REPL to play with and show that Shen is doable in Android and release it as soon as possible, it lacks more advanced features seen in a normal text editor.
I have some ideas and I would like to develop them, but I am not sure that it will fit in the current simple style of Shen for Android and it will probably become a completely different app with new UI and advanced features.

Tatsuya

2017年12月28日木曜日 22時09分26秒 UTC+9 Robert Herman:

Robert Herman

Dec 29, 2017, 8:03:23 AM12/29/17
to Shen
I need to revise my review. You do maintain history, so I can easily go back and re-run bits, which was what I was after. I like the font too. The keypad is great. Is that yours or derived? Now I can practice Shen anywhere! Thanks.

Tatsuya Tsuda

Dec 29, 2017, 8:31:05 AM12/29/17
to Shen
I really appreciate your feedback!

> You do maintain history, so I can easily go back and re-run bits, which was what I was after. I like the font too.
Glad to hear that!

> The keypad is great. Is that yours or derived?
The keypad is my original, which I carefully designed for Shen. I like it too :)

Tatsuya

2017年12月29日金曜日 22時03分23秒 UTC+9 Robert Herman: