Shen and Expert Systems

Antti Ylikoski

May 22, 2015, 11:15:50 AM5/22/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com

The Shen system has a solid, multiple connection to logic.  When the
author created an article about AI for the Finnish ICT press, he
carried out some research, and mentioned in that article, that the
most advanced expert systems are based on logic.  (Though he also
discovered that almost all commercial expert system work around here
is business confidential.)

Following are some books on expert systems the author happens to have
in his hands.  He understands that the Shen project is a scientific,
and not a commercial, research project, but someone just might want to
use the logic programs for some expert system type work -- perhaps.

1) Hayes-Roth, Waterman, Lenat: BUILDING EXPERT SYSTEMS,
Addison-Wesley 1983, ISBN 0-201-10686-8.

This is a very old book, but a classic, almost certainly the group
already very well know it, but the author will mention it anyway.  It
predates the era of logic in expert systems.

2) Dennis Merritt: Building Expert Systems in Prolog, Amzi! Inc.,
Online Edition, USA 2000.  Also by Springer-Verlag 1989, as a physical
book version.  The PDF version, the one in the author's hands, was by
Daniel L. Dudley, daniel...@chello.no, 2001.

This is the book the author intended to use, if he should get an
employment, concerning some commercial applications of AI.

How about building an expert system shell with Shen, and, for example,
with the miniKanren, or simply with the Shen and the Shen Prolog?  The
MRS was capable enough so that the author could use it as an expert
system shell as such.

regards -- AJY
Helsinki, Finland

Mark Tarver

May 23, 2015, 5:07:31 AM5/23/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, antti.y...@gmail.com
Interesting suggestion;  I've sent you a private email on that.

Mark

Antti Ylikoski

May 23, 2015, 4:16:58 PM5/23/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com

I'm almost certain that the members of this group already do know this
book very well, but I want to mention it in this context because of
two points -- a) it has some material as to expert systems work; and
b) the book has a website with a great deal of interesting AI code in
several languages such as Common LISP, Python, Java, Prolog.

The book is

Artificial Intelligence, A Modern Approach
3rd Edition
Stuart Russell, Peter Norvig
PEARSON
ISBN 978-0-13-207148-2

See
Section 8.4 Knowledge Engineering in First-Order Logic
Chapter 12 Knowledge Representation (in First-Order Logic)

and the website is

http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/

regards -- AJY
Helsinki, Finland

Mark Tarver

May 24, 2015, 6:44:09 AM5/24/15
to qil...@googlegroups.com, antti.y...@gmail.com
There was a fair bit done on expert system shells in the 80s.  SEQUEL (later Qi and now Shen by evolution) came out of the AI dept. and was specifically engineered to help my research in automated reasoning.  I've no doubt this work can be done in Shen.

Mark