Where to buy The Book of Shen, 3rd Edition in the USA?

Colin King

Jul 7, 2017, 1:45:41 AM7/7/17
to Shen
I want to purchase a copy of The Book of Shen, 3rd Edition in the USA; is there a recommended non-UK source?  Thanks.

Mark Tarver

Jul 7, 2017, 5:20:59 AM7/7/17
to Shen
I don't control the way these books are stocked I'm afraid.  Fastprint deliver to the USA within a week I'm told.

da...@bakins-bits.com

Dec 27, 2017, 7:58:53 AM12/27/17
to Shen
I bought Functional Programming in Qi, 2nd ed some time ago and did nothing with it; now I'm interested in looking at it again somewhat seriously.  How different the language/system now from then - should I really be trying to get The Book of Shen, 3rd ed and not bother with the earlier book or can I make useful progress with the earlier book?

And - as long as I'm here I'll piggy back two more questions on this old post:

1) As someone brand new to this - if I get started with the OS version how much different is it from the "pro cloud version"?

2) And does "cloud based" (for the pro version) simply mean there's a website where a subscriber can always get the latest version to download and install to his home system - or is it some kind of "cloud computing" thing where the software and your uses of it are all remote (like, say Office 365 or Google Suite)?  I'm slightly confused.

Thanks!

P.S. Just so you know, it is disappointing (and slightly off-putting) I can't get the book in the US from either amazon.com or amazon.co.uk...

Mark Tarver

Dec 27, 2017, 10:47:51 AM12/27/17
to qil...@googlegroups.com
There is a fair amount of stuff not in FPQi;  the book was pretty much rewritten from the 2008 edition - macros, vector and string matching are new -the code examples are much changed.

You can buy it from Amazon,

Mark

David Bakin

Dec 28, 2017, 7:48:32 AM12/28/17
to qil...@googlegroups.com
I tried but that seller doesn't ship to the US.

-- David

Mark Tarver

Dec 28, 2017, 8:00:22 AM12/28/17
to qil...@googlegroups.com
that's very odd;  I've relayed this to the publisher

sends to the USA - 6 days is usual.

Mark

Mark Tarver

Dec 28, 2017, 8:02:21 AM12/28/17
to Shen
or is it some kind of "cloud computing" thing where the software and your uses of it are all remote (like, say Office 365 or Google Suite)?

exactly;  I update it continuosly.

Mark

Robert Herman

Dec 28, 2017, 8:09:26 AM12/28/17
to Shen
On a side note, an article on HN about the Shen Wasp port has sent the price of TBoS 3rd Ed. to > $200!

Tatsuya Tsuda

Dec 28, 2017, 1:14:27 PM12/28/17
to Shen
For others who do not know, there was a HN post of the blog post about Shen for Android and in the HN comments the Wasp port was mentioned.
The HN post went to the frontpage of HN and clearly Shen got some attention :)

Tatsuya

2017年12月28日木曜日 22時09分26秒 UTC+9 Robert Herman:

Chris Double

Dec 30, 2017, 8:50:07 PM12/30/17
to qil...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Tatsuya Tsuda <ota...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You mean this? https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16012091
> For others who do not know, there was a HN post of the blog post about Shen
> for Android and in the HN comments the Wasp port was mentioned.
> The HN post went to the frontpage of HN and clearly Shen got some attention
> :)

I suspect it was your Shen Android work that got the prices going, nice work :)

I bought the TBoS 3rd Ed on Amazon a while back, paid standard retail
for it, and ended up getting a second hand copy from them whereas I
was expecting a new one. When buying from Amazon make sure you check
what sort of copy you're actually buying!

--
https://bluishcoder.co.nz