[ANN] shen-truffle

Ragnar Dahlén

Aug 16, 2017, 4:54:59 PM8/16/17
to Shen
Hi all,

As I briefly mentioned in a different post, I've been working on a port of Shen to the Graal runtime, using the Truffle language implementation framework.

I've now reached a point where the Shen test suite passes so I've decided to share the project. Note that this doesn't mean that the port is "ready", there is still a lot left to do and getting it up and running is largely undocumented, but at least it's in a state where someone else might find it interesting.

The source is available at:

Sample REPL session running the tests:

Test suite passes in ~45s on my machine. I still haven't done any targeted performance work, but now that the port is correct insofar that it passes the test suite, performance is what I'll look at next. Startup time will probably never be competitive with CL port, but I think there is a lot that can be done to make for example the test suite run substantially faster.

After performance, I'll address packaging and documentation. I also think there is a lot of interesting stuff todo wrt. host interop (Java) and other Graal languages.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Dr Mark Tarver for his inspiring work in general, and Shen in particular.

Best regards,
Ragnar Dahlén

Mark Tarver

Aug 17, 2017, 6:18:33 AM8/17/17