h5py installation has not completed and got error.

WT

Feb 23, 2018, 4:00:12 AM2/23/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Dear all,

Initially, I would like to install h5py (http://docs.h5py.org/en/latest/build.html) because h5py has not installed in my qiime 1.9.1. I followed the h5py installation guide and something went wrong.
And I get this when I test print_qiime_config.py,

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/print_qiime_config.py", line 44, in <module>
    from qiime.util import (load_qiime_config,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/qiime/util.py", line 41, in <module>
    from biom.util import compute_counts_per_sample_stats, biom_open, HAVE_H5PY
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/biom/__init__.py", line 51, in <module>
    from .table import Table
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/biom/table.py", line 188, in <module>
    from biom.util import (get_biom_format_version_string,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/biom/util.py", line 26, in <module>
    H5PY_VLEN_UNICODE = h5py.special_dtype(vlen=unicode)
  File "h5t.pyx", line 1437, in h5py.h5t.special_dtype (h5py/h5t.c:11775)
NotImplementedError: Only byte-string vlens are currently supported

Now I cannot create biom files and everything is now crap. Could you help me to reinstall back to normal or install h5py properly?

Appreciate your kind help.

Best regards,
Wei Thwe

Colin Brislawn

Feb 27, 2018, 1:01:21 AM2/27/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Wei,

Sorry your software environments got messed up. Managing python software can be a real mess.

You have probably already figured this out, but I wanted to suggest installing these software packages again, using different conda environments. The idea here is to install qiime into a fresh conda environment, then install the version of h5py into a different conda environment. Like
conda create -n qiime1 python=2.7 qiime matplotlib=1.4.3 mock nose -c bioconda
conda create -n newpython h5py

So you can use qiime by running
source activate qiime1
but then you can run h5py by running
source deactivate
source activate newpython

Let me know if this works for you,
Colin

WT

Mar 26, 2018, 12:56:52 AM3/26/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Dear Colin (@Colin Brislawn),

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for late reply. I have never tried the one you suggested. Let me ask you how to install conda at Terminal since it was said "conda command not found".

Appreciate your answer.

Best regards,
Wei Thwe

Colin Brislawn

Mar 26, 2018, 3:02:07 PM3/26/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Wei Thwe,

Of course. The full instructions for installing Qiime 1 using conda are on this page:

After Step 1: Install Miniconda, you can run the conda commands I posted above.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Colin

WT

Apr 9, 2018, 3:16:12 AM4/9/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Dear Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to install "Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh" in my home/user.. Once I installed in my terminal, I could not proceed to your above commands. I kept on getting conda: command not found while I run the following:

WT@48LVY42:~/miniconda2$ conda create -n qiime1 python=2.7 qiime matplotlib=1.4.3 mock nose -c bioconda
conda:command not found

May be I do not know where I should keep and install

"Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh"!
How could I proceed?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Wei Thwe

Colin Brislawn

Apr 9, 2018, 12:29:41 PM4/9/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Wei Thwe,

After you download the file, you can install by running
bash Miniconda2-latest-MacOSX-x86_64.sh
in the folder in which you placed it. After that command runs, try running the 'conda create' command again.

Let me know if this works!
Colin

WT

Apr 10, 2018, 2:14:15 AM4/10/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Colin,

I have installed in the place where Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_
64.sh is however, I typed bash command in the terminal and I received the followings.

WT@48LVY42:~/miniconda2$ bash Miniconda2-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
ERROR: File or directory already exists: '/home/WT/miniconda2'
If you want to update an existing installation, use the -u option.

WT@48LVY42:~/miniconda2$ conda create -n qiime1 python=2.7 qiime matplotlib=1.4.3 mock nose -c bioconda
conda: command not found

I am not sure what is missing.

Colin Brislawn

Apr 11, 2018, 12:09:25 AM4/11/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello again,

I think you have done everything right. I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Maybe if you installed miniconda 3, this would avoid this issue. Miniconda 3 will still work with Qiime 1, but it will also work great for Qiime 2 if you want to try the newer version of Qiime in the future.

Maybe another person on the forums has an idea, because just installing miniconda 3 is my only idea.

Let me know if you find the solution,
Colin