QIIME Official Workshops

Antonio González Peña

Feb 14, 2014, 10:40:53 AM2/14/14
to Qiime Forum
Hello QIIME-ers,

We have being asked many times over the last few years if we run QIIME
workshops and if so, how they work. The short answer is: Yes, we do!
We have been running QIIME workshops regularly, where either someone
hosts a workshop and invites us to lead it, or we organize a dedicated
workshop. The former happens about once per month, and the latter
about once per year.

If you're interested in hosting an official QIIME workshop, which will
be taught by a team of QIME experts (involved in QIIME development and
support) see these notes: http://qiime.org/home_static/workshops.html

Hope this is helpful!

Happy QIIME-ing.

Antonio and Greg

--
Antonio

Jose Francisco Garcia Mazcorro

Feb 14, 2014, 12:02:30 PM2/14/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
That is very helpful for all of us. Thanks for all the hard work :)

- Jose

Jose F Garcia Mazcorro, Ph.D.

Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia
Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon
Francisco Villa s/n Col. Ex-Hacienda el Canada
Gral. Escobedo, Nuevo Leon 66050, Mexico
Tel. 8087-0592
www.veterinaria.uanl.mx

> --
>
> ---

Matthew Stoll

Feb 27, 2014, 4:34:41 PM2/27/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
It wasn't clear from the link: are there any QIIME workshops scheduled for 2014?

I don't think my site has the critical mass of users to host one, but I would consider attending one in the US.

Thanks,

Matt

Subject: RE: [qiime-forum 1.8.0] QIIME Official Workshops
To: "qiime...@googlegroups.com" <qiime...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, February 14, 2014, 12:02 PM

That is very helpful for all of us.
Thanks for all the hard work :)

- Jose

Jose F Garcia Mazcorro, Ph.D.

Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia
Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon
Francisco Villa s/n Col. Ex-Hacienda el Canada
Gral. Escobedo, Nuevo Leon 66050, Mexico
Tel. 8087-0592
www.veterinaria.uanl.mxhttps://sites.google.com/site/josefgarciamazcorro/

Greg Caporaso

Feb 28, 2014, 9:27:11 AM2/28/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,
We are considering doing a general one in the US, probably some time in the Fall of 2014. We are also in the planning stages for the ISME 2014 QIIME Workshop, which will be the Wednesday of ISME in Seoul, in case you'll be at ISME. In both cases, we'll post to the QIIME blog with details as we have them.

Thanks for your interest!
Greg

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Feb 28, 2014, 11:28:21 AM2/28/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hello Matt,

If you happen to be in Boston around May for ASM, there'll be a ~3:30 hours long workshop, you can see the details in the link below:

Thanks!

Yoshiki.

Matthew Stoll

Feb 28, 2014, 2:43:43 PM2/28/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Greg and Yoshiki!

Matt

To: qiime...@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, February 28, 2014, 11:28 AM

Hello Matt,
If you happen to be in Boston around May for ASM,
there'll be a ~3:30 hours long workshop, you can see the
details in the link below:
http://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan/ViewSession.aspx?sKey=2852f252-06fc-4700-8c7c-9692d122d6c1&mKey=673511f0-c86b-432f-a387-058032b8500b
Thanks!
Yoshiki.
On Feb 28, 2014, at 7:27 AM, Greg Caporaso <gregca...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hi Matt,We are considering

Antonio González Peña

Mar 3, 2014, 1:51:43 PM3/3/14
to Qiime Forum
FYI we just added at the bottom of the page a section about future
workshops. Note that both of the workshops listed have a minimum
number of participants to actually happen.
Antonio

jirong.long

Mar 18, 2014, 4:30:24 PM3/18/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Will it be possible to post the slides that you presented in previous qiime workshops in the blog? That will be very helpful.  Thanks.

Jirong

Sophie

Mar 18, 2014, 6:13:30 PM3/18/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jirong,
We try to have all the materials online but not always is possible, we will see about the current ones.  We do not have links to all the previous presentations but some do (one of the columns in the list), suggest trying them and see which ones are available. There is also lots of documentation and examples in the website: http://qiime.org/
Thanks,
Sophie

Sophie

Mar 19, 2014, 10:53:04 AM3/19/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
The most recent meeting slides can be found here.
Thanks,
Sophie

JenB

Jun 19, 2014, 1:37:57 PM6/19/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Is there any more talk about a Qiime workshop in the US in the Fall 2014?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Edward Alain Pajarillo

Sep 1, 2014, 2:40:35 AM9/1/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hello QIIME Masters:

I am Edward Alain Pajarillo who attended your most recent ISME15 QIIME workshop in Seoul, South Korea. First, I want to thank you for conducting the workshop here. It was very informative and helpful for me to analyze my data. My only concern and suggestion is that please make some hardcopies of the presentation file, so we can also take notes and follow the steps systematically. A hands-on session where the participants can also perform and enter scripts would be very helpful.

Second, may I ask for the powerpoint files of all presentation from the start you can email it to me at eabpaj...@gmail.com (or if you have links for the presentation files, that would be great!), I would like to review all the steps. As you know it is sometimes difficult for beginners without experience in bioinformatics or Python or R to study on their own. If not next time you can give freebies like (4 or 8GB USB with all the materials and files included there, as well as installation files and manuals). They're just my feedback and suggestion.

Third, may I also suggest to add some feature in QIIME to have legends and figures that can be ready for black and white publication. For example, PCoA plots that can be different shapes or different shades in greyscale or with outlines. As well as the bar graphs, could you put some pattern that can be seen in black and white motif? That would be great! Rarefaction curves can be different lines (i.e. broken lines, dotted lines, etc.)

And lastly, I want to congratulate and thank you for your hardwork in QIIME and making it open-source! Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Edward Alain Pajarillo

Greg Caporaso

Sep 2, 2014, 7:50:22 PM9/2/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edward,
See below for inline responses. Thanks a lot for attending the workshop and for your feedback!

My only concern and suggestion is that please make some hardcopies of the presentation file, so we can also take notes and follow the steps systematically. A hands-on session where the participants can also perform and enter scripts would be very helpful.

We do normally try to do the hands-on part, but that didn't work out this time due to the problems with internet connectivity. Sorry for the inconvenience. The commands and the link to download the raw and processed data are all available here, so you can use that to work through the steps locally. We don't provide hard copies as it's too much overhead for us to print everything out, and the electronic copy tends to be more useful as students can copy/paste commands, and we can update any typos/errors/etc that we identify as we go.

Second, may I ask for the powerpoint files of all presentation from the start you can email it to me at eabpaj...@gmail.com (or if you have links for the presentation files, that would be great!), I would like to review all the steps. As you know it is sometimes difficult for beginners without experience in bioinformatics or Python or R to study on their own. If not next time you can give freebies like (4 or 8GB USB with all the materials and files included there, as well as installation files and manuals). They're just my feedback and suggestion.

We are working on making these available now. When they're ready we'll send to the mailing list for the workshop (which you are on) and we'll update the commands document to contain a link to the slides (for people who were not able to attend the workshop).

Third, may I also suggest to add some feature in QIIME to have legends and figures that can be ready for black and white publication. For example, PCoA plots that can be different shapes or different shades in greyscale or with outlines. As well as the bar graphs, could you put some pattern that can be seen in black and white motif? That would be great! Rarefaction curves can be different lines (i.e. broken lines, dotted lines, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added that as a feature request, and if there seems to be a lot of interest in that functionality we may be able to add in the future.

And lastly, I want to congratulate and thank you for your hardwork in QIIME and making it open-source! Thank you very much.

Thank you!

Best,
Greg

JenB

Nov 5, 2014, 10:04:22 AM11/5/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
Can someone tell me how many days the Qiime Workshops usually are?  2, 3, 4?? Does anybody know?
Thanks,
Jen

Jose Francisco Garcia Mazcorro

Nov 5, 2014, 10:09:32 AM11/5/14
to qiime...@googlegroups.com
I believe it depends, here is more -hopefully useful- information: http://qiime.org/home_static/workshops.html

Cheers - Jose

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 07:04:22 -0800
From: jjb...@gmail.com
To: qiime...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [qiime-forum 1.8.0] Re: QIIME Official Workshops
--

---

Jose Carlos Clemente

Nov 5, 2014, 10:09:40 AM11/5/14
to Qiime Forum
Hi Jen,

I don't think there is a fixed length. We have done half-day workshops and week-long, depending on availability of instructors, audience, and resources/logistics. The one we did at ISME this year was a one-day workshop.

Jose