Emperor problem

Duy Dinh

Aug 17, 2016, 4:45:11 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi All,

This is probably a novice issue, but I am unable to open the Emperor files that was generated in QIIME.  I'm currently running Windows 7 (can't change it due to policies at work).

I have tried chrome://flags but there is no option for "disable WebGL"

Is there anything wrong with my computer?  I've also tried this on my MacBook Air and there is also no "disable WebGL" option either.  My GPU is a Nvidia GeFore GT 620 (admittedly an old gpu).  My driver is also up to date according to the Nvidia software,  I've gone to webgl.org and I do see the rotating cube for webgl 1 but it says that webgl 2 is not supported.  Is the card too old?

Thank you,
Duy

Jai Ram Rideout

Aug 17, 2016, 5:28:13 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Duy,

When you are opening the Emperor HTML file, do you also have the required resources? They'll be in a directory called "emperor_required_resources". Also, is the folder containing the Emperor plot unzipped/extracted? The directory containing the Emperor plot should look like:

index.html
emperor_required_resources/

If neither of those cases apply to you, let me know and I'll reach out to an Emperor developer to help you.

Best,
Jai

Duy Dinh

Aug 17, 2016, 5:35:13 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Jai,

I have a directory that is called emperor_required_resources.  In it there are four other folders, css, emperor, img and js.  Three of the folders have items with the emperor folder being empty. And yes, I also have the index which is a Chrome HTML document.  When I try to open the HTML it gives me the "WebGL not enable" message.

Thank you for your response,
Duy

Jai Ram Rideout

Aug 17, 2016, 5:46:00 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Duy,

Thanks for verifying those details. I've contacted an Emperor developer to help you with the WebGL issue.

Best,
Jai

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Aug 17, 2016, 5:50:45 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Duy,

Can you post a screen capture of what you see in the browser?

Thanks!

Yoshiki.

Duy Dinh

Aug 17, 2016, 5:59:09 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Yoshiki,

Here are the screenshots.

Duy
screenshot.png

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Aug 17, 2016, 6:10:37 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Duy,

Thanks for sending that, the problem seems to be that the index.html file has been separated from the emperor_required_resources folder, can you verify that you still have that folder in the same directory as index.html? I don't think it's a problem of WebGL or your graphics card, but just to confirm that, can you verify you can view the plot in this URL:

Thanks!

Yoshiki.

Duy Dinh

Aug 17, 2016, 10:53:24 PM8/17/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
hi Yoshiki,

I'm able to open this with my laptop, but I can't with my work computer because my place of work has a firewall and is blocking it.  I will ask them to unblock it but I suspect that the computer can probably open the link.

Duy

Duy Dinh

Aug 19, 2016, 4:27:26 PM8/19/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Yoshiki,

How can I fix this problem?  Where should I put the index.html file?

Thank you,
Duy

Jai Ram Rideout

Aug 19, 2016, 7:37:12 PM8/19/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Duy,

The index.html doesn't need to be in a particular location, but the emperor_required_resources folder must be in the same folder as index.html. Are you able to view the Emperor plot Yoshiki linked to? If it's a firewall issue, you'll need to contact your IT support (we can't help with that).

Best,
Jai

Duy Dinh

Aug 20, 2016, 12:05:16 AM8/20/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Jai,

As I have articulate earlier, I will get my IT department of clear the firewall but I don't think that is an issue.  I can open the link he gave me on my own personal computer but it will still say that I don't have WebGL when I try to open the index.html even with the emperor_required_resources and the index.html in the same folder (this is my own personal computer again).  Anything else that can cause this not to work?

Duy

Jai Ram Rideout

Aug 21, 2016, 7:12:45 PM8/21/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Duy,

That's really odd, I'm not sure what's going on here. Can you please send me your index.html and emperor_required_resources so I can try viewing it locally?

Thanks,
Jai

Duy Dinh

Aug 22, 2016, 4:41:52 PM8/22/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Jai,

Thank you for spending time on this.  Here are the zipped files.

Duy
emperor.zip

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Aug 22, 2016, 4:55:50 PM8/22/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Duy,

There are several files missing from the "emperor_required_resources" folder, I'm not sure what might be going on. I would try regenerating the plot, if that doesn't work let us know and we'll investigate further.

Thanks!

Yoshiki.

Duy Dinh

Aug 22, 2016, 5:48:38 PM8/22/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Thank you Yoshiki.

The folder is generated by our core facility.  He's running QIIME on the Linux which I have done in the past and is currently running but it should have no bearing on the results.  I'm not sure what happened.

Duy

Jai Ram Rideout

Aug 22, 2016, 8:31:42 PM8/22/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Duy,

Can you try regenerating the plot to see if the files are still missing?

Jai

Duy Dinh

Aug 23, 2016, 12:08:00 PM8/23/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Jai,

What files are missing from the folder?

Duy

Jai Ram Rideout

Aug 23, 2016, 1:33:11 PM8/23/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Duy,

I don't know what files are missing, but I'm guessing it is some javascript code and CSS that would be difficult/error-prone to provide to you. Emperor generates those files for you when creating the plot, and those files depend on the version of Emperor used to generate the plot. Can you please try regenerating the plot to see if that fixes it?

Jai

Duy Dinh

Aug 23, 2016, 3:17:32 PM8/23/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Ok Jai,

I will try to regenerate those plots tonight to see if that fixes the problem and will let you know.

Duy