package ‘biom’ is not available (for R version 3.3.3)

Daniel Laubitz

Mar 28, 2017, 7:14:21 PM3/28/17
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi,
I wanted to run differential_abundance.py and got an error "Cannot find R. Is it installed? Is it in your path?". I have installed R and all packages. Now I got another error:

burrito.util.ApplicationError: R library not installed:
stdout:

stderr:

Library biom not found.

To install, open R and run the command:
  install.packages("biom")

I tried to install 'biom' but I got :
Warning message:
package ‘biom’ is not available (for R version 3.3.3)

Should I install different R version? Is there any other way to fix it?

Thanks!
Daniel

Colin Brislawn

Mar 28, 2017, 7:29:19 PM3/28/17
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Daniel,

Yeah, setting up all the R packages always seems to be tricky. Try installing the biom format package using bioconductor, as described here:
https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/biomformat.html

This should install correctly with your current R version, and then elegantly work with qiime.

Let me know if this method works for you,
Colin

Daniel Laubitz

Mar 28, 2017, 10:38:39 PM3/28/17
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi Colin,
Thank you for your suggeston but I am still getting this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/macqiime/anaconda/bin/differential_abundance.py", line 159, in <module>
    main()
  File "/macqiime/anaconda/bin/differential_abundance.py", line 150, in main
    DA_DESeq2(input_path, out_path, mapping_fp, mapping_category, subcategory_1, subcategory_2, DESeq2_diagnostic_plots)
  File "/macqiime/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qiime/differential_abundance.py", line 118, in DA_DESeq2
    run_DESeq2(temp_fh.name, out_path, mapping_category, subcategory_1, subcategory_2, DESeq2_diagnostic_plots, outfile_diagnostic)
  File "/macqiime/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qiime/differential_abundance.py", line 159, in run_DESeq2
    app_result = rsl(command_args=command_args, script_name='DESeq2_nbinom.r')
  File "/macqiime/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qiime/util.py", line 1963, in __call__
    (stdout, stderr))
burrito.util.ApplicationError: R library not installed:
stdout:

stderr:

Library biom not found.

To install, open R and run the command:
  install.packages("biom")

If you already have the biom package installed in a local directory,
please store the path to that directory in an environment variable
called "R_LIBRARY_PATH". This may be necessary if you are running
QIIME on a cluster, and the cluster instances of R don't know about
your local R libraries. If you don't know your R library paths, you
can list them by opening R and running with the command, ".libPaths()".
The current R instance knows about these paths:
[/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library]

Warning message:
In library(lib.name, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE,  :
  there is no package called ‘biom’

Colin Brislawn

Mar 29, 2017, 6:48:29 PM3/29/17
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Daniel,

Looks like it's still having trouble finding the biom packages for R. When you ran the bioconductor install commands, did these give you errors? Could you post that output for me?

Thanks!
Colin

Daniel Laubitz

Mar 30, 2017, 12:48:44 AM3/30/17
to Qiime 1 Forum
I do not think there was any error:

Bioconductor version 3.4 (BiocInstaller 1.24.0), ?biocLite for help

> biocLite("biomformat")
Using Bioconductor 3.4 (BiocInstaller 1.24.0), R 3.3.3 (2017-03-06).
Installing package(s) ‘biomformat’
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 202107 bytes (197 KB)
downloaded 197 KB

The downloaded binary packages are in
/var/folders/sz/vv7cb6cn6sx_g92vvl4m3c080000gp/T//RtmpptWZGJ/downloaded_packages

Colin Brislawn

Mar 30, 2017, 12:58:33 AM3/30/17
to Qiime 1 Forum, Daniel McDonald
Thanks for telling me more.

Yeah, that looks the install worked fine. This should provide the biom library, preventing the  'Library biom not found' error.

I've cc'ed one of the qiime devs who may be able to help more.

Let me know if you discover any other clues,
Colin

Daniel Laubitz

Mar 30, 2017, 1:08:59 AM3/30/17
to Qiime 1 Forum, was...@gmail.com
Thanks you Colin. I really hope for help, I have already run out of clues.
~Daniel

Andrew_M

Mar 30, 2017, 6:50:26 PM3/30/17
to qiime...@googlegroups.com, was...@gmail.com
I just had the same issue when I tried to install Tax4Fun on a new system  It appears that "biom" has been removed from the CRAN servers except for archived versions (none of which are compatible with R 3.3).

The fix is to use the development version, available on GitHub: https://github.com/joey711/biom

Easy install: From within R (or Rstudio):

install.packages("devtools") # if not already installed
devtools::install_github("biom", "joey711")

Done.

Good luck!

Manil

Jun 7, 2017, 12:21:16 AM6/7/17
to Qiime 1 Forum, was...@gmail.com
Hello Andrew,

Could you please help me with Tax4fun I had the same problem while i was trying to install it, I had this msg Error :

installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
ERROR: dependencies ‘qiimer’, ‘biom’ are not available for package ‘Tax4Fun’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Tax4Fun’

Thank you,

Manil

Paige

Jun 21, 2017, 6:11:56 PM6/21/17
to qiime...@googlegroups.com, was...@gmail.com
Thanks Andrew, This worked for me with 3.4.0 too.