Core microbiome: at treatment- not sample-level

tcar...@uncc.edu

Jan 9, 2018, 8:49:07 PM1/9/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Dear all,

I have 16S rRNA data for 300 samples: 100 from site A, B, and C. I would like to determine the 'core microbiome' across sites. Instead of comparing at the sample-level (i.e., which OTUs are observed in each of my 300 samples), I wish to compare at the site-level (i.e., which OTUs are present at the 3 sites, even if they're not in every sample)

The shared_phylotypes.py script determines the # of OTUs (at the site-level) for this inquiry, while compute_core_microbiome.py operates at the sample-level. If you, however, collapse all samples per site, you may subsequently generate the 'core microbiome' across sites. The issue with the latter is that you are left with 3 data points in your revised .biom (i.e., site A, B, and C) and cannot perform, for example, a PCoA on that 'core' community to test how this community differ between sites.

Would anyone know a way around this?

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

Regards,
Tyler

--
Tyler J. Carrier
  Ph.D. Student, Reitzel Laboratory

Fastest Communication
  e-mail: tcar...@uncc.edu

TonyWalters

Jan 10, 2018, 1:33:46 AM1/10/18
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hello Tyler,

I think you should be able to generate beta diversity output for 3 samples, but only the 2d plots. E.g. run each of these scripts, in this order, on your collapsed OTU table:

You might also consider comparing the beta diversity of the uncollapsed samples with the compare_categories.py script: http://qiime.org/scripts/compare_categories.html