OTU read counts

kristin oosthuizen

Jul 27, 2016, 9:50:40 AM7/27/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi,

I have now created my OTU table and I just want to be sure I understand it right. The relative abundance is measured in read counts right? I am literally taking it one step at a time with my data analysis and I was wondering is there a script or command to normalize the read counts (RPKM)? I want to perform diversity and stats, but was wondering if these counts are normalized at some point further down the pipeline?

Thanks!
Kristin

justink

Jul 29, 2016, 3:26:12 AM7/29/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Sounds good. This is 16S amplicon sequencing, yes? If so, I wouldn't normalize like RPKM—16S genes tend to be relatively similar in length (compared to the variety of all transcripts in shotgun RNAseq where RPKM is often used).

I'd say plow ahead with the unnormalized read counts. Many of the measure to compare samples (e.g. unifrac) operate on unnormalized (but rarefied!) sequence counts.

kristin oosthuizen

Aug 4, 2016, 4:53:21 AM8/4/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Hi,

Thank you for your response. No actucally I did ITS amplicon sequencing. I just wondered if I should normalize the read counts, or if I should just ago ahead and run core diversity analyses?

Thanks!
Kristin

justink

Aug 7, 2016, 7:06:29 PM8/7/16
to Qiime 1 Forum
Do the core diversity analyses! That'll handle rarefaction / normalization.