Q4E dying on Ganymede (Linux)

jieryn

Jul 30, 2008, 5:42:08 PM7/30/08
to Q for Eclipse users list
Greetings,

I am using the 0.8.0.200807202147 version of the plugin and am having
considerable difficulty creating a new Maven project from Archetype.
Seemingly no matter what archtype I choose, maven takes an error and
reports that "'Import Maven 2 projects' has encountered a problem. An
internal error occurred during: "Import Maven 2 projects"."
java.lang.NullPointerException. No project displays in the package
explorer eclipse view, however, if I navigate to my workspace I see
that there is a huge list of files, depending on the archtype,
created. I do not see any .project or .classpath or .settings
directories however.

My $WORKSPACE/.metadata/.log contains:

!MESSAGE Error creating from archetype
!STACK 0
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Internal error
in the plugin manager executing goal 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-
archetype-plugin:1.0-alpha-7:create': Mojo execution failed.
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
505)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegmentForProject(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
265)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
180)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
149)
at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute_aroundBody0(DefaultMaven.java:
223)
at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute_aroundBody1$advice(DefaultMaven.java:
304)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:1)
at
org.apache.maven.embedder.MavenEmbedder.execute_aroundBody2(MavenEmbedder.java:
904)
at
org.apache.maven.embedder.MavenEmbedder.execute_aroundBody3$advice(MavenEmbedder.java:
304)
at
org.apache.maven.embedder.MavenEmbedder.execute(MavenEmbedder.java:1)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.embedder.internal.EclipseMaven.executeRequest(EclipseMaven.java:
311)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.embedder.internal.EclipseMavenRequest.run(EclipseMavenRequest.java:
152)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginExecutionException: Mojo
execution failed.
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:
601)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
498)
... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error
creating from archetype
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.archetype.MavenArchetypeMojo.execute(MavenArchetypeMojo.java:
237)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:
579)
... 13 more
Caused by:
org.apache.maven.archetype.ArchetypeTemplateProcessingException:
MyMaven already exists - please run from a clean directory
at
org.apache.maven.archetype.DefaultArchetype.createArchetype(DefaultArchetype.java:
247)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.archetype.MavenArchetypeMojo.execute(MavenArchetypeMojo.java:
224)
... 14 more

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2008-07-30 17:21:46.929
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Import Maven 2 projects".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.embedder.MavenExecutionStatus.<init>(MavenExecutionStatus.java:
33)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.embedder.internal.EclipseMavenRequest.run(EclipseMavenRequest.java:
157)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.embedder.internal.EclipseMaven.executeGoal(EclipseMaven.java:
125)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.jdt.ui.projectimport.ProjectScanner.getSortedProjects(ProjectScanner.java:
146)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.jdt.ui.projectimport.ProjectScanner.scanFolder(ProjectScanner.java:
78)
at
org.devzuz.q.maven.jdt.ui.projectimport.ScanImportProjectJob.run(ScanImportProjectJob.java:
75)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

I'm quite new to Maven, but am pretty sure this is not the expected
behavior. :-) Please let me know what other details I can provide to
help diagnosis and correction of the problem. Thanks!!

-jesse

Dominic Mitchell

Jul 31, 2008, 9:32:31 AM7/31/08
to q4e-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 02:42:08PM -0700, jieryn wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am using the 0.8.0.200807202147 version of the plugin and am having
> considerable difficulty creating a new Maven project from Archetype.
> Seemingly no matter what archtype I choose, maven takes an error and
> reports that "'Import Maven 2 projects' has encountered a problem. An
> internal error occurred during: "Import Maven 2 projects"."
> java.lang.NullPointerException. No project displays in the package
> explorer eclipse view, however, if I navigate to my workspace I see
> that there is a huge list of files, depending on the archtype,
> created. I do not see any .project or .classpath or .settings
> directories however.
>
> My $WORKSPACE/.metadata/.log contains:

*snip logs*

> I'm quite new to Maven, but am pretty sure this is not the expected
> behavior. :-) Please let me know what other details I can provide to
> help diagnosis and correction of the problem. Thanks!!

I logged this a while back, but it was closed. I was seeing it on OS X
and eclipse 3.3 however.

http://code.google.com/p/q4e/issues/detail?id=458

-Dom

erle mantos

Jul 31, 2008, 11:01:51 AM7/31/08
to q4e-...@googlegroups.com
So this happens for all archetypes?

Every bit is sacred, Every bit is right.
If a bit is wasted, I can't sleep at night.
Every bit is gorgeous, Every bit is free.
Admire the shape it forges, In hex and BCD!

jie...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2008, 2:24:21 PM7/31/08
to q4e-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is happening for every archtype I use. I've now gone through
the first ten and they all fail the same way. I do end up with some
stuff in my project workspace, but I'm not experienced enough to know
what is missing. Here is what is generated from
'maven-archetype-j2ee-simple [RELEASE]' before it takes the error.

$ find . -type f
./pom.xml
./ejbs/pom.xml
./ejbs/src/main/resources/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml
./ear/pom.xml
./primary-source/pom.xml
./projects/pom.xml
./projects/logging/pom.xml
./servlets/pom.xml
./servlets/servlet/pom.xml
./servlets/servlet/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
./servlets/servlet/src/main/webapp/index.jsp

I do realize there is no .project or .classpath, not sure if that is
expected. I am not seeing the same situation as in issue # 458, thanks
Dom, but I think that is a miss given your snip from your
.metadata/.log. Perhaps this is a regression if using Eclipse-3.4 +
M2E-0.8?

-jesse

jieryn

Jul 31, 2008, 10:10:04 PM7/31/08
to Q for Eclipse users list
Excuse me, I should have said Q4E. :-b

Abel Muiño Vizcaino

Aug 5, 2008, 5:53:06 PM8/5/08
to q4e-...@googlegroups.com
In your original report, the stacktrace contains:

Caused by:
org.apache.maven.archetype.ArchetypeTemplateProcessingException:
MyMaven already exists - please run from a clean directory

It might be that you're creating all the projects with the same name, or with the name of an existing project?

Regarding the lack of eclipse files, that's probably because the process gets interrupted due to the error you're experiencing.