MingW uninstallation / parallel installation question

Matthias Kauer

Feb 25, 2014, 11:18:24 PM2/25/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm wondering what MingW is required for in pythonxy.

More specifically, for C++ development purposes, I'd like to upgrade MingW to a newer version. Is the best option to
1) install the newest pythonxy? Does it have MingW 0.6 with gcc 4.6?
2) update from within Mingw32-xy (assuming you bring the update software)
3) uninstall pythonxy, reinstall without mingw, install mingw on its own
4) install newer mingw version in parallel - probably a really bad idea, no?

Thanks for weighing in on this.

Best,
Matthias

Gabi Davar

Feb 26, 2014, 12:29:00 PM2/26/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
You can use any official 32 bit Mingw32 build with PythonXY 2.7.6.0 . Earlier (unmodified) Python versions were limited to 4.5.2 due to a long standing bug - http://bugs.python.org/issue12641.

Please see inline:

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:18:24 AM UTC+2, Matthias Kauer wrote:
Hi,
I'm wondering what MingW is required for in pythonxy.

More specifically, for C++ development purposes, I'd like to upgrade MingW to a newer version. Is the best option to
1) install the newest pythonxy? Does it have MingW 0.6 with gcc 4.6?
Yes. If you want to use something more modern than 4.5.2 then just skip the XY mingw32 install.
2) update from within Mingw32-xy (assuming you bring the update software)
Yes, mingw-get is included.
3) uninstall pythonxy, reinstall without mingw, install mingw on its own
You can just uninstall mingw32
4) install newer mingw version in parallel - probably a really bad idea, no?
No, its fine. Python will pick up the first on the PATH. In fact you can experiment with many Mingw32 versions by changing the PATH.