Thinking of moving to WinPython for 3.3 support

Pete Bachant

Jan 27, 2014, 5:25:17 PM1/27/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
The packages I use are all present in both WinPython and Python(x,y), and it seems WinPython can register itself with Windows, making it very similar to Python(x,y). Are there any downsides to using WinPython instead?

Matt Conte

Feb 13, 2014, 10:57:46 AM2/13/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
I have used both and I made the switch a few months ago.  If all the packages are supported on both distributions, I'd say the choice is yours.  The biggest difference for me is that WinPython feels like more of a typical programming language distribution.  Where Python(x,y) has a menu that loads tools and documentation for you, and generally keeps things organized for your access, WinPython does not.  It's more personal preference than anything.

Gabi Davar

Feb 13, 2014, 12:21:23 PM2/13/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
There are several more important (but mostly invisible) differences:
* All common libraries are (zlib, png etc) are rebuilt and given a unique name to avoid DLL hell.
* All packages are re-built using Visual Studio 2008 (no mingw DLL as used) avoiding the mixed C Runtime libraries problem.
* Optional dependencies are provided (where possible) - for example netCDF4 is built with OpenDAP support
* All packages include their documentation in native win32 htmlhelp (where possible).
* MKL optimized where needed (numpy, scipy etc).

Its good to have a choice :)

-gabi

Pete Bachant

Feb 21, 2014, 9:03:16 AM2/21/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Gabi,

Which version (x,y or WinPython) has those features?

Gabi Davar

Feb 21, 2014, 10:30:29 AM2/21/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Python(x, y).