PythonPune on IRC

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:05:20 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune
Hello Folks,

We now have an IRC Channel  #PythonPune.

Let us try and use it to increase our online communication :-)

Cheers
ThinRhino

--
"Ship is safe at harbor but it is not made for that."

Kushal Das

Oct 20, 2015, 2:10:22 AM10/20/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> We now have an IRC Channel #PythonPune.
>
> Let us try and use it to increase our online communication :-)

If possible keep it all small, easier for newbies.

Kushal
--
Fedora Cloud Engineer
CPython Core Developer

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:12:50 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune
On 20 October 2015 at 11:39, Kushal Das <kush...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> We now have an IRC Channel  #PythonPune.
>
> Let us try and use it to increase our online communication :-)

If possible keep it all small, easier for newbies.

I was under the impression, that channel names are case insensitive!

Kushal Das

Oct 20, 2015, 2:18:44 AM10/20/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
May be, I don't know :) It seems one has to be identified to join the channel.

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:20:55 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune
On 20 October 2015 at 11:48, Kushal Das <kush...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >
> >> If possible keep it all small, easier for newbies.
> > I was under the impression, that channel names are case insensitive!
> >
> May be, I don't know :) It seems one has to be identified to join the channel.

Confirmed it, channel names are case insensitive https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2812#section-1.3

Yes, you need to use a registered nickname to join the channel.

Kushal Das

Oct 20, 2015, 2:23:22 AM10/20/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I was under the impression, that channel names are case insensitive!
>> >
>> May be, I don't know :) It seems one has to be identified to join the
>> channel.
>
> Confirmed it, channel names are case insensitive
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2812#section-1.3
Thanks will keep this in mind.

> Yes, you need to use a registered nickname to join the channel.
In our dgplug summer training we found this is kind of difficult for
new comers. Better you
mute any non-identified person through chanserv.

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:25:30 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune
That is a good idea. Will set it up that way.

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:26:47 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune

On 20 October 2015 at 11:52, Kushal Das <kush...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:

BTW, what is a good/recommended way to set up logging for the channel?

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

Oct 20, 2015, 2:28:23 AM10/20/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 October 2015 at 11:52, Kushal Das <kush...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, you need to use a registered nickname to join the channel.
>> In our dgplug summer training we found this is kind of difficult for
>> new comers. Better you
>> mute any non-identified person through chanserv.
>>

> That is a good idea. Will set it up that way.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Freenode in particular, IRC in
general, benefits from having a primary and a secondary registered
nick associated with an email address. It is really trivial to set up
and forms the basis of a long-term identity. There are enough ancients
from various IRC channels who are more well known by their
nicks/handles.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:31:48 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune

On 20 October 2015 at 11:57, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> In our dgplug summer training we found this is kind of difficult for
> >> new comers. Better you
> >> mute any non-identified person through chanserv.
> >>

> > That is a good idea. Will set it up that way.
>
> I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Freenode in particular, IRC in
> general, benefits from having a primary and a secondary registered
> nick associated with an email address. It is really trivial to set up
> and forms the basis of a long-term identity. There are enough ancients
> from various IRC channels who are more well known by their
> nicks/handles.

Would it be a good idea to have a blog post on the PythonPune website to help new users
on how to register their nick and join the IRC channel?

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

Oct 20, 2015, 2:34:00 AM10/20/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be a good idea to have a blog post on the PythonPune website to
> help new users
> on how to register their nick and join the IRC channel?

If you want to re-use content, I'd suggest doing that from
<https://freenode.net/faq.shtml> and putting this link so that users
can always visit it and confirm.

Thin Rhino

Oct 20, 2015, 2:36:28 AM10/20/15
to Python Pune

On 20 October 2015 at 12:03, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Thin Rhino <thin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would it be a good idea to have a blog post on the PythonPune website to
> > help new users
> > on how to register their nick and join the IRC channel?
>
> If you want to re-use content, I'd suggest doing that from
> <https://freenode.net/faq.shtml> and putting this link so that users
> can always visit it and confirm.

Cool, will do that and will leave +r on the channel as it is :-)

Sai Vennamaneni

Oct 20, 2015, 3:33:47 AM10/20/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
Best way to setup logging for the channel: https://botbot.me