A conversation on Twitter about Python Pune Group

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

Nov 1, 2016, 11:05:42 AM11/1/16
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
For those who are amused by the subject line, here's context in the thread

<https://twitter.com/thinrhino/status/793468167519473664>

It would be good to scroll down where there is a note from Jaidev
about specific items which can be acted upon viz. having a
calendar/schedule of events; better management of speaker calls and
such.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>

Thin Rhino

Nov 1, 2016, 11:16:27 AM11/1/16
to Python Pune, InPyCon
The current issue at hand is the 4 day conference announced by Chandan. It is a great initiative, all support possible will be extended. I don't give a damn about the name of the conference (ref: discussion on inpycon list).

But before any support can be extended to this event, I wonder why nobody from the "organising committee" thought of putting up their intentions on the mailing list? Who all are involved in the organisation of the conference? What is their motivation to setup a 4 day conference at such a short notice? Are they seeking for sponsors? and such questions.

As a community, I believe that such information should be first given, asked for input from the community and then should be declared.

Am I asking for too much?

Regards
Aditya Laghate

"Ship is safe at harbor but it is not made for that."

Chinmay Kanchi

Nov 1, 2016, 12:00:14 PM11/1/16
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
This has been a constant issue in the PyPune community - CFPs are put out too late and events are largely announced unilaterally. That said, I am fully supportive of any effort that brings us together as a community. Can one of the Pycon Pune organizers put up a tentative plan and a tentative date by which CFPs are going to go live? Can we start selecting reviewers for proposals? Can we set up a website? Without these things, the conference is going to be a disaster and full of "how I did <insert common uninteresting thing here> with python"-type talks.

A good talk takes a lot of thought and preparation, which means giving people plenty of time to think about and propose talks.

Cheers,
Chinmay