How to start with a web framework using Python?

Varun Upadhyay

Oct 28, 2015, 12:13:48 AM10/28/15
to Python Pune
Hi everyone
I am new to the group and wanted guidance from the fellow pythonists about how to learn a web framework using Python. I tried to learn Django but could not find well instructed documentaion. So are their any resources from where I can learn Django and I am working on windows OS so does that have any effect on my learning capabilities. Should I shift to linux?
Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to learn a lot from this group.

Noufal Ibrahim

Oct 28, 2015, 12:23:23 AM10/28/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 28 2015, Varun Upadhyay wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I am new to the group and wanted guidance from the fellow pythonists about
> how to learn a web framework using Python. I tried to learn Django but
> could not find well instructed documentaion.

Really? I thought Django was one of the best documented Python projects
out there. You start from
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/intro/tutorial01/ and go through
the six sections, you'll have something up and running and can go on
after that.

> So are their any resources from where I can learn Django and I am
> working on windows OS so does that have any effect on my learning
> capabilities.

I don't have much experience with Windows so can't comment there.

--
Cordially,
Noufal

Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे

Oct 28, 2015, 2:17:55 AM10/28/15
to pythonpune
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <nou...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28 2015, Varun Upadhyay wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I am new to the group and wanted guidance from the fellow pythonists about
> how to learn a web framework using Python. I tried to learn Django but
> could not find well instructed documentaion.

Really? I thought Django was one of the best documented Python projects
out there. You start from
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/intro/tutorial01/ and go through
the six sections, you'll have something up and running and can go on
after that.

Disclaimer : This is not an attempt to start flamewar, just sharing my experience.
Django is very popular python web framework, obviously several people found the documentation useful/simple.

I had tried to learn Django few years ago, and I ended up with same impression (That doc wasn't all that great)

(Couple of years) later, I learnt web2py from their online documentation, and found it very useful (I went on to build 2 products using web2py, they are in production for last 3 and 1.5 years each. web2py google group is AWESOME.)

Recently, I tried to learn DRF (without any background in Django) and found that beyond the sample code that works, I had problem using DRF to my real world requirements. (Ended up using flask based REST API framework)

Once again, I have nothing against Django/DRF. Just sharing my experience.

-Mandar

--
Cordially,
Noufal

anish patil

Oct 28, 2015, 2:23:53 AM10/28/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

>Recently, I tried to learn DRF (without any background in Django) and found that beyond the sample code that works, I >had problem using DRF to my real world requirements. (Ended up using flask based REST API framework)

>Once again, I have nothing against Django/DRF. Just sharing my experience.

And eventually most of the programmers come with their own frame work :)

Thanks,
Anish

Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे

Oct 28, 2015, 2:27:25 AM10/28/15
to pythonpune
And eventually most of the programmers come with their own frame work :)

Wrong mailing list.
I think you meant to post this to Javascript mailing list <wink>

-Mandar

kracekumar ramaraju

Oct 28, 2015, 3:28:39 AM10/28/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com

Pawan Darda

Oct 28, 2015, 7:18:04 AM10/28/15
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
HAHA <wink><wink>

Billu

Oct 28, 2015, 10:22:46 AM10/28/15
to Python Pune
I'm current learner of Django (on the side, hence can't give much time). First I just copied what was being said in a Youtube video - to get some practice. You can search for "Coding for entrepreneurs" at youtube.

Now since our firm is having internet problems I'm doing the whole tangowithdjango.com which I had already downloaded previously in my hard drive - for any such contingency.

Manish

Oct 28, 2015, 1:07:48 PM10/28/15
to Python Pune

On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 09:43:48 UTC+5:30, Varun Upadhyay wrote:
Hi everyone
I am new to the group and wanted guidance from the fellow pythonists about how to learn a web framework using Python. I tried to learn Django but could not find well instructed documentaion. So are their any resources from where I can learn Django and I am working on windows OS so does that have any effect on my learning capabilities. Should I shift to linux?
Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to learn a lot from this group.

Django can get a bit overwhelming initially, but hang in there and once you're through first few chapters, it starts making sense.
I found this book quite useful when I picked up Django for my project last year.
http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/index.html

Alternatively, try web2py of Flask as mandar suggested. But if you have some server-side coding experiences, it shouldn't take too long to learn Django and once you're hooked, you'd love it as well! :-)

HTH,
- Manish