Official support for named pipes on Windows

André Caron

Apr 29, 2016, 6:11:04 PM4/29/16
to python-tulip
Hi there!

I reported this on the GitHub issue tracker for asyncio and I'm transferring here to "rallly support" as Guido said :-)

I noticed there is support for UNIX sockets in asyncio, but there is no documented support for named pipes on Windows. I dug a bit and noticed the required functions are all implemented in asyncio, the only thing that's missing is a pair of functions akin to asyncio.start_unix_server() andasyncio.open_unix_connection() and some documentation.

I went on and implemented a simple script that showcases what's available (see this gist for a runnable example that uses UNIX sockets or named pipes depending on what the system supports).

I'm willing to put some time into the patch if you're willing to accept it. Any chance you're interested in this?

Cheers,

André

Message has been deleted

André Caron

May 20, 2016, 10:54:21 PM5/20/16
to jul...@gns3.net, python-tulip
Hi again,

I'm aware this may not be the most popular feature for asyncio users, but everything is already there save for a pair of helper functions.

I'm willing to send in a patch for this.  Any chance it will be integrated?

Thanks,

André

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:47 AM, <jul...@gns3.net> wrote:
Hi,

I support your idea.

We have two use case at GNS3 where we could take advantage of named pipe.

The communication between our code and VirtualBox or VMware because they provide API over named pipe, actually we have a ugly workaround to do that.

The communication between two process made by us, actually we use HTTP over the network with our own security, but if possible we prefer to use the named pipe with OS security.

Cheers,

Julien