New asyncio release on PyPI?

Victor Stinner

Mar 25, 2016, 8:37:29 AM3/25/16
to python-tulip
Hi,

* The latest asyncio release is now one year old: asyncio 3.4.3 was
released at 2015-03-10.
* Python 3.5.1 was released at 2015-12-07.
* Python 3.5.0 was released at 2015-09-13.

Is there a reason why no new asyncio version was released on the cheese shop?

I guess that we have to find the Git tag which matchs Python 3.5.1,
write a changelog and build Windows binary wheels?

My Windows VM is no more able to build Windows binary wheels. I wrote
a script to build all wheel packages in one command on Windows:
https://bitbucket.org/haypo/misc/src/default/bin/releaser.py

Oh, it looks like asyncio still has an old copy, release.py, which
doesn't support Git.

Victor

Guido van Rossum

Mar 25, 2016, 7:41:28 PM3/25/16
to Victor Stinner, python-tulip
Maybe because Python 3.3 is no longer getting new releases either?
Probably most people just use the asyncio from the stdlib and are
happy with it.
--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Victor Stinner

Mar 25, 2016, 7:49:54 PM3/25/16
to Guido van Rossum, python-tulip
Does someone need an asyncio version more recent than the version in
your Python 3.4 or 3.5 standard library?

I recall a discussion about installing the PyPI version because it is
more recent, and sys.path tricks to use it instead of the stdlib
flavor.

Victor

Gustavo Carneiro

Mar 25, 2016, 8:00:35 PM3/25/16
to Victor Stinner, Guido van Rossum, python-tulip
On 25 March 2016 at 23:49, Victor Stinner <victor....@gmail.com> wrote:
Does someone need an asyncio version more recent than the version in
your Python 3.4 or 3.5 standard library?

I recall a discussion about installing the PyPI version because it is
more recent, and sys.path tricks to use it instead of the stdlib
flavor.

I discovered that PyPI asyncio releases are useless if you are using Python >= 3.4 because the stdlib version always takes precedence.

Sometimes I just include a copy of asyncio in my code, and use sys.path tricks, but in that case I can just grab the code I need from the latest Python source code or asyncio github, so yet again no need for PyPI package.

That being said, I wish I could install a package from PyPI and it would override the stdlib version.  My code is deployed in Ubuntu 14.04 in production, and I can't easily install Python 3.5 in it.  But that is a separate discussion, I guess.

Victor

> Maybe because Python 3.3 is no longer getting new releases either?
> Probably most people just use the asyncio from the stdlib and are
> happy with it.
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Victor Stinner
> <victor....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> * The latest asyncio release is now one year old: asyncio 3.4.3 was
>> released at 2015-03-10.
>> * Python 3.5.1 was released at 2015-12-07.
>> * Python 3.5.0 was released at 2015-09-13.
>>
>> Is there a reason why no new asyncio version was released on the cheese shop?
>>
>> I guess that we have to find the Git tag which matchs Python 3.5.1,
>> write a changelog and build Windows binary wheels?
>>
>> My Windows VM is no more able to build Windows binary wheels. I wrote
>> a script to build all wheel packages in one command on Windows:
>> https://bitbucket.org/haypo/misc/src/default/bin/releaser.py
>>
>> Oh, it looks like asyncio still has an old copy, release.py, which
>> doesn't support Git.
>>
>> Victor
>

> --

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
Gambit Research

pje...@underboss.org

May 13, 2016, 4:51:05 PM5/13/16
to python-tulip, victor....@gmail.com, gu...@python.org
There will definitely be new 3.3 releases (not CPython).

As for CPython, according to Georg only 3.2 is discontinued: