How basic is this course?

Ryan Rowland

Nov 17, 2016, 10:37:41 AM11/17/16
to Python GCU Forum
Hi all,

I'm interested in learning Python and wondering whether I should start here or if perhaps I should start at a slightly higher level? I'm intermediate/advanced level with VB/VBA.

Or maybe I should just skip a few sections in this guide? I mean, I don't need to be told what a string is etc. :)

Thanks,
Ryan.

Sergio Andrés Figueroa Santos

Nov 17, 2016, 4:12:10 PM11/17/16
to Python GCU Forum
I was quite advanced in Java (and familiar with other programming languages) when I came upon this course. I still think it's the best resource I've found and even come here every now and then for reference. You don't need to be told what a string is, but the way in which it works in Python, and the way in which you can treat it probably differ at least a bit from what you're used to. Don't be afraid of the basics. You probably know your way fairly well in Visual, but ideas such as dictionaries or the interpreter might change the way in which you approach programming.

That said, of course, expect familiar things. Do the homework anyways. One thing is to see a description and say "oh, that's so easy" and other thing is actually implementing it.

I hope it helps :)

Ryan Rowland

Nov 24, 2016, 4:30:05 AM11/24/16
to Python GCU Forum
Hi Sergio,

It definitely helps, thanks for the feedback! I'll make a start on this course at the weekend.

Cheers.