Help!

Vinz

May 18, 2017, 10:01:46 AM5/18/17
to Python GCU Forum
Hey,
I have recently decided to learn more about Python and come across the Google Python Course. I went through the fist steps of the Set Up. It first recommends downloading the google-python-exercises.zip and unzip it. Since I am working on a Mac the file was already unzipped when I saved it to my Desktop. The next step required me to "cd to the google-python-exercises directory" which I did. The terminal then told me that
 "cd google-python-exercises

-bash: cd: google-python-exercises: No such file or directory" apparently there is no such file although I can see it on my Desktop while typing this. Nevertheless I then tried to access the hello,py file directly.

"python hello.py

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'hello.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory" However that file could neither be opened nor found. As a result of this I downloaded the newest version of Python 2.7 but that did not change anything nor did the download of a editor do any good.

If anybody could help me with this problem I would really appreciate it.

Best regards and thanks in advance

Vinzenz

Sharath kumar reddy Vulupala

May 19, 2017, 1:42:06 PM5/19/17
to Python GCU Forum
Hey Vinz,

while trying to do the "cd google-python-exercises" did you use the exact same command ?? if so it might not work,

try this

"cd <drag the python folder to terminal>"
 instead of writing the folder name try dragging it to the terminal to get the exact location of it. Terminal is unable to identify the folder name with out its root directories.

Keith Seymour

May 19, 2017, 6:41:21 PM5/19/17
to Python GCU Forum

I think the GUI is able to process a zip file natively but the terminal can't. If you install 'the unarchiver' and extract the file somewhere you will be able to access it in the terminal.

Yash Chaudhary

Jun 5, 2017, 12:12:11 PM6/5/17
to Python GCU Forum
Start with the book Learn Python The Hard Way . This is the best way of getting started with Python.