targets as files equates to frustration

Benjamin Lush

Nov 23, 2015, 11:54:17 AM11/23/15
to python-doit
I was enjoying this tool so much (I felt free for the first time) until I came across one pitfall... targets must be files. What?!? This goes against the everything the tool was created for: doit is a task management & automation tool.

I appologize for the rant but I am confounded why actions can be python callables, up-to-date can be evaluated using python callables, but the thing that is evaluated alongside up-to-date is... "a file".Furthermore, If a target doesn’t exist the task will be executed. Now I have to develop a file creation task to workaround this issue if I want to skip a task execution... rant over.

Please fix this, or explain the reasoning behind this. My suggestion would be add the ability to add UNIQUE callables.

string: evaluate "file" existence/modification
callable: evaluate at runtime
and to keep the uniqueness ensure that:
no strings match other task targets
no (callables + args) match other task targets

Tell me I'm wrong!

Eduardo Schettino

Nov 23, 2015, 11:55:07 AM11/23/15
to python-doit
You are wrong :)

Benjamin Lush

Dec 16, 2015, 1:35:00 PM12/16/15
to python-doit
How so? I want to understand how this decision came about.